Upgraded CPU now PC reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Intel D845WN motherboard with 512MB of PC133 SDRAM. I originally had a 1.6GHz processor and just upgraded to a 2.6GHz processor which is the maxium that it can handle. The PC boots up fine and the processor is recognized in the BIOS and in Device Manager. It seems that once I start opening programs or do anything that taxes the processor at all...it just reboots. The new processor is the only thing that I have changed. Could it be a heat issue? I did not use any thermal grease when I installed the new processor. Any help would be appreciated.

Immediately get hold of some TIM and apply it on the CPU. It is definitely heating up. Have you checked the CPU temp?

How do I check the CPU temp? So that's what you think my problem is then...heat because of not having the grease on there?

Something on your box is not stable. It could be the RAM or the CPU ,, or the PSU not giving enough power......

You have to troubleshoot .

Make shure BIOS is all on stock and no OCing is done and make shure your RAM is correct and SPD it.

Can you tell us when it reboots ?

Also what are your temp ?

Your HSF that came with CPU might not be properly installed, or no TIM used or too much, and not a tight connection.. You have to make it tight soo its pushing down on the CPU ,, Soo reseat the CPU and put on HSF ,, might solve this.. well see,, let us know..

Something on your box is not stable. It could be the RAM or the CPU ,, or the PSU not giving enough power......

You have to troubleshoot .

Make shure BIOS is all on stock and no OCing is done and make shure your RAM is correct and SPD it.

Bios is all stock with no OCing. The RAM is the same and works perfectly fine with my 1.6GHz.

Can you tell us when it reboots ?

It seems to reboot when I put any sort of load on it. If I open up a few windows at a time it will reboot but it will sit there idle and not reboot.

Also what are your temp ?

Tried to check the CPU temp with the program that was posted above, but it only showed my 2 HD temps in there.

Your HSF that came with CPU might not be properly installed, or no TIM used or too much, and not a tight connection.. You have to make it tight soo its pushing down on the CPU ,, Soo reseat the CPU and put on HSF ,, might solve this.. well see,, let us know..

Well, the only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps there is enough still on the old CPU to at least help with hooking up to the cooler.

The new CPU has a much higher clock frequency, and hence will run much hotter than the old CPU.

The BIOS may or not be compatible with the new CPU without an update being performed.

The fact remains, that you MUST make the CPU installation with good, quality, thermal compound correctly installed, in order to rule that out as a source of trouble.

It's kind of pointless as a matter of diagnostic process, to go looking for other problems when this is staring you in the face.

Some of the early, slow, "P" series CPUs barely needed fans, the P-4 Prescott series would likely shut down completely within a few seconds without one.

My BIOS does support this processor. Just looked again.

I'm going to order some thermal grease today and see if that fixes the problem. One thing that I wanted to ask before I order anything is that I'm using the heatsink/fan that I had on my 1.6GHz. Should I order a different one to go with this new processor? If so...any recommendations?

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back