Upgraded my PC would like to use 64-bit OS

harrisdurrani

Hey there peeps,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I was running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 32 bit on my old CPU (Q8200) and Motherboard. Today I upgraded my CPU to a Core i5 and bought a new z77 Gigabyte motherboard with 8 gigs of ram.

However the problem is that I want to be able to use a 64 Bit Windows 8 pro with Media center. I upgraded my Windows 8 from my Windows 7 which was 32 bit before. What should I do now to upgrade my current 32 bit windows to a 64 bit windows?

Thanks

Also I just wanted to add that I upgraded my windows from Windows 7 through the upgrade assistance so I don't have the Bootable disk.

You can not upgrade from one bit version to another. Changing bit versions will require a fresh install. You will need to find Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit and install using either one of your keys. On second thought I don't think you can fresh install Windows 8 using an upgrade key. You may need to install Windows 7 64-bit first and then upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit, if Windows 8 is your goal.

You can download the ISO and either burn it or mount it . Use the key you already have: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
You can not upgrade from one bit version to another. Changing bit versions will require a fresh install. You will need to find Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit and install using either one of your keys. On second thought I don't think you can fresh install Windows 8 using an upgrade key. You may need to install Windows 7 64-bit first and then upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit, if Windows 8 is your goal.
There is a registry "hack" in which you can use Windows 7 upgrade, but for the rookie user it is tough and you are better off buying a OEM copy. I am not sure if the "hack" applies for Win 8 though.

Thanks for the advice guys I was able to install windows 8 64 bit. I just burned a 64 bit windows 8 iso file on a usb drive. booted my PC with the USB did a fresh format and installed windows 8 64 bit without any problems. When I put in my key it said that the key was used by another user so I just clicked Activate by phone and it got done in a few mins.

thanks again. :)

Thanks for the advice guys I was able to install windows 8 64 bit. I just burned a 64 bit windows 8 iso file on a usb drive. booted my PC with the USB did a fresh format and installed windows 8 64 bit without any problems. When I put in my key it said that the key was used by another user so I just clicked Activate by phone and it got done in a few mins.

thanks again. :)

Easiest way to do it(y)

Back