Upgraded RAM, now won't boot with old or new RAM

Indetrucks

Hey guys, I need a little help...

I upgraded my RAM from 4GB (4x1GB sticks) to 8GB (4x2GB sticks).
After installed the new 8GB it would not boot and made a loooong beep. I figured maybe it was a DOA stick. So I removed 3 of them and it booted to a single 2GB stick. Installed another one and it booted to the 4GB. Installed the third and it would not boot (just a consistent click sound every 3 seconds).
I thought I found the culprit so I removed that third stick and installed the last 2GB stick in its place. Well, I got the same results (no boot and a strange click every 3 seconds).

So now I'm thinking I got two DOA memory sticks. I took the last one out so I have the two new sticks in there that it booted once to already..... and it didn't boot. hmmm
I reinstalled the original 4GB RAM and still would not boot (same weird click every 3 seconds).
I tried resetting the CMOS and still nothing.
When I say does not boot, I mean it won't even go to the BIOS or show any signs of changes on the screen.

System Details:
Computer & Specs here
The old 4GB RAM it had was PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
The new 8GB RAM is PC2-6400 (800MHz) - which according to the specs says will work when upgrading.

Upgraded O/S from XP to W7 on a SSD.
Running 2 HD Slaves
This is the Video Card I'm running for media stuff only (HDMI to TV)

Everything else on the PC is the same from factory and ran like a top over the past 5 years
Anyone have any ideas?
I'm stumped and need my media center back :(

I thought that might have also been a possibility. It is the original 300W supply and it's asking a lot of it to power 2 HHD, 1 SSD, 1 video card (amongst other things).
But why would it fail at the time of installing new memory? Doesn't seem to make sense to me?

It is just a coincidence... replace the power supply. The new RAM probably drew a bit more current pushing the old power supply over the edge

Could have been...
The Video card max power consumption is 75W and the 300Wpsu IS 5+ years old.
Come to think of it, just the other day the computer reset itself... randomly.

Will this be a decent replacement for my application? (just wanna be sure the specs will work for what I have)

Came home, installed the OG single stick of 1GB RAM. Plugged in the power cord and it started to boot without me hitting the power button... same thing... click click click....

However, I was doing some reading today on some posts ... Specifically where someone mentioned to reset their CMOS by removing the battery for 5 minutes. I thought that was odd as I had been moving the jumper over to reset it as per HP's specs.

So before uploading the video I took of the sound it was making and to cry some more, I decided to give that method a try.
Unplugged the PSU, hit the power button a few times (as I had read) and removed the battery for a few minutes (not 5, more like 3).

Put the battery back in, plugged in the PSU (this time it didn't automatically start up) and pressed the power button. Bingo! It booted up to BIOS, and then on to O/S.

Feeling lucky... I shut her down and followed the previous order of operations (removal of battery etc). I removed the single known good stick of RAM and went for the full Monty... I threw all 4 sticks of the new RAM in.

Put the battery back in, plugged it in (it did not try to start right up as it had previously done) and I pressed the power button.
YES!
Set the BIOS settings and it's booting to the O/S perfectly every time (I restarted the PC a handful of times to be sure).

Checked and it's showing all 8GB of RAM in the settings!
Happy camper this guy!

Should I get a better PSU anyway (in your opinion?)
I was thinking of going with this one (500w Cooler Master)

Back