Upgrading Computer

GusDaBus

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wring topic (I'm new to this forum) I'm thinking about upgrading 1/some of my pc parts for Christmas and don't know which ones are bad and need upgrading or don't need upgrading. I'm looking to play games like Dayz Standalone, BF4 ArmA 3 and games like that.
My specs just now are:

Processor; Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM); 6.00 GB
OS Name; Microsoft Windows 8
System Type; x64-based PC
Graphics card; NVIDIA GeForce GT640

My Budget is around 400 pounds
Thanks to anyone that can help !

What motherboard and PSU do you have? Also, what HDD do you have? Finally, is this a prebuilt or custom built machine?

I moved your post to this forum which is the proper forum for your question. The gaming forum is a software forum. Your question is hardware.

Okay, thanks mailpup, I'm going to school just now but I'll find out tonight and it's an alieanware x51

Not sure what PSU I have but I don't think it will need changing, I have an alienware a-12 motherboard? That's what CPU-Z showed, and finally I have a 1000gb hdd.

I'm not sure how far 400 pounds will take you but, if you plan on upgrading graphics cards, you will also need a new power supply. A 500W would be a nice range for any cards.

Assuming his motherboard can take this CPU, this is what I recommend, Corsair CX600 (this can take lots of future upgrades and I can recommend it as I have it in my PC at the moment) i5-3570K (I also use this in my PC, it's a solid CPU with loads of power, but I have a sneaky suspicion his motherboard isn't the right chipset but someone who knows about this more can confirm that), GPU GTX 660, this is the Nvidia option I recommend, I don't know much about AMD graphics cards so dont ask me about them. This is just my opinion, feel free to correct me if need be.

Thanks for your help, won't a cx600 be too big for an x51 case?
I just took the time to look up the Alienware X51. You are correct. The X51 is a mini-PC, though they are selling the X51 with upgrade potential. I can't personally tell you what that potential is.
Alienware X51’s compact size hides near-limitless customizability and upgradeability. Alienware X51 is available with a variety of factory-customized configurations to fit your needs. And if you decide you want to add even more muscle to your machine later, Alienware X51 is designed for you to easily swap out desktop-class CPUs, graphics cards, hard drives and memory.
You should contact Dell for support. They know what will work in their machine better than we do. Here is a link for Dell support. - http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19/Products/

The Manual is available at this location. There might be helpful information in the manual.

Back