Upgrading my computer finally but...

Aranarth

So I finally got a new computer on the way but its not exactly what I wanted.

Current machine is Core i7 2600k 16gb ram 500gb ssd Radeon rx 580 8gb.

New machine is an Alienware R10 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 8GB Memory1TB HD AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB

It has the video card card I want and the processor, but I really wanted to build it al myself.
I have 32gb ram on the way along with WD black 2tb nvme ssd.

I figured I could get this now or wait another 1-2 years to finally get things at the prices I wanted.
I figure I might as well pull the trigger...

Covid really threw a wrench into computer pricing...

Aranarth

I think I over paid by $300 compared to 6 months ago and this graphics card crunch started. Still better than $1k over priced!

neeyik

Staff member
Are you paying that price as advertised? Dell is selling that specific model directly for $1609.99 (link).

Aranarth

Crap, I looked all over Dell's website yesterday and only ever got machines with Nvidia video cards.

Aranarth

Actually it is $1759 with the upgraded chassis but point taken. They must have just started selling them this morning!

neeyik

Staff member
:confused: Ah, that's not great. Well at least you've got a fantastic PC coming your way.

Aranarth

Update on this - Seller was nice enough to accept a full refund less shipping.
Was able to purchase the same thing from Dell with a 2tb hdd and water cooling and will save abt $500.

Aranarth

One more update:
My new computer a Alienware r10 with water cooling, 5600x, 8gb ram, 6800xt will be here next week!
I have 32gb (2x16gb) ram ready to upgrade it along with a nice 2tb wd black ssd. Price worked out cheaper to get the machine as is from dell and then upgrade it from parts purchased from Newegg as opposed to buying it preconfigured. (Saved about $150)

I also have a gigabyte 34" curved ultra wide screen on the way.

There have been some complaints about the cooling fan for the water rad so I have a pair of corsair ml120 pro's with a pwm splitter as an upgrade for that as well. Reports are that swapping the nidec industrial fan for the corsairs and reapplying the paste cuts temps by about 10c and makes the machine run much quieter.