Upgrading video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hey all,

I intend to upgrade my video card soon, but my only concern is my power supply.... I have a 400W FSP Group ATX-400 PA. (Has 34 or 36A on +12V rail), and I do not want to buy a new one lol.

I am trying to decide between the 8800GT and the 9600GT, but I'd prefer the second one because it runs cooler and uses less power than the 8800GT.

System would be:

Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 2.7 GHz (might go for 333MHZ FSB, or 2.93GHZ)
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800
80GB HDD (might go for 160 in several months)
Around 3 fans (have more but I power them separately)

Do you think my PSU could handle the 8800GT? It's a high quality PSU, but I still think 400W might be small for such a power hungry card lol......

So the 9600GT would be the card for me? (BTW I game at 1280x1024, no more :))

Thanks =)

The FSP Group power supply is an excellent, rugged model, with almost no history of failures. And should work well with either of the video graphics cards you mentioned. It provides steady output you cannot get with most other 400 watt units... more like some 600 watt power supplies. We very much like anything FSP groups sells for power.

Hey thank you for the quick replies :)

So if my PSU can handle the 8800gt, I may be tempted to go for it, just because it has much more shaders than the 9600GT....

My only concern remaining is cooling..... Any good cooler you recommend for it? I heard some 7900 series coolers would work on it.

Thanks again :)

get RivaTuner v2.06 it is a free down load and can set the speed of the fan to what ever u want it to run at. I have mine set to run at 50% and it never gets above 50 c unless I am in a game and using it hard, and then does not get that too terrible hot.

The 8800GT will work fine with your PSU, as stated by others as well.
However, you may want to wait for a couple of days, since ATI and NVIDIA are going to launch their new series of cards soon. You might be able to pick up a better card for the same price as the 8800GT.

Use the stock graphics card cooler for awhile at least. In case there is a problem with it, you don't want to void the warranty.

Thanks again,

Yes I will wait for the new cards, hopefully the 8800GT will be at 9600 price level, or like Rage said get a better card for around the same price (8800GTS 512 ;-)

And I might use the stock cooler for some time, I just hope it's not as bad as my old X850XT stock cooler lol

So the 8800GT is the card for me (unless better cards come in the next 3-4 months)

Thank you a lot guys.

Cya =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back