UPS driver tops FedEx box-tosser, flips the bird before throwing package

Shawn Knight

Staff member

FedEx took a proverbial punch to the gut last week in the form of negative PR when a video surfaced showing a delivery driver carelessly tossing a computer monitor over a gate in front of a resident’s home. The Memphis, TN-based courier went on record admitting guilt and apologized for the act in an attempt to save face. This time around, however, it’s rival UPS that’s in hot water regarding yet another viral video showing driver neglect.

The incident took place on December 15 around 5pm when a driver was filmed carrying a box to a customer’s front door for delivery in Long Island. The driver apparently spotted a surveillance camera and proceeded to throw up his middle finger before tossing the box onto the porch and walking off.

UPS has since come forward, telling NBC New York that the driver was a seasonal employee. Company spokesperson Natalie Godwin says the company does not tolerate such conduct and the driver has been fired as a result. The incident happened despite company officials reminding employees in pre-shift meetings “about being aware [of cameras] and about doing what’s right.”

Many will likely feel that this is just punishment for such an act. Last week, senior vice president of FedEx Express US operations Matthew Thornton, III responded to a similar video regarding an employee of his company. Multiple comments on the video chastised FedEx for not firing the employee on the spot. Instead, all we know about the incident is that said driver was being disciplined and is no longer working with customers.

Permalink to story.

There's something about rich people who are uploading these videos which irks me.

The Patrick Bateman inside me wishes a FedEx or a UPS driver next time throws the parcel through the windows of people who've been uploading these videos.

Yeah dedparrot, those rich people deserve it since you aren't one.

This type of thing happens about 12,000 times a day.
This is a top story? (No pun intended Shawn)

He probably didn't care if he got fired or not, and was considering quitting anyway, especially if he was only seasonal. Xmas is a horrible time of year to be in the courier business and tons of guys quit every this time every year.

The terms of employment are terrible in most companies, you're just given your parcels and left to get on with it. The company doesn't care how long it takes you, or the weather conditions, or issues with the vehicle, etc. You're just expected to do it and they don't care how. Not many industries expect that of their employees. I'm not excusing it or anything, but that's the reason why you're seeing delivery drivers behaving like this.

Another post, for future reference for anyone that wants good service from their delivery driver. Most guys do actually want to do a good job, and if you do a few things to make their life easier, they'll return the favour.

1) Actually be at home when possible if you're expecting a delivery, open the door when you see the guy walking up the driveway rather than waiting for him to the ring the bell and making him wait when he's on a tight deadline

2) If you're not going to be at home leave a note on the door specifying a place to leave the parcel (garden shed, porch, back door, whatever).

3) If you have a regular driver and order stuff a lot then give him a tip at xmas.

Rather than treating my parcels like crap, the guy that delivers to my house has gone out of his way for me a few times, on one occasion walking the final 1/2 mile to my house when there was too much snow to drive there.

dedparrot said:
There's something about rich people who are uploading these videos which irks me.

The Patrick Bateman inside me wishes a FedEx or a UPS driver next time throws the parcel through the windows of people who've been uploading these videos.

Rich people are who keep these guys working during a recession. Just sayin'.

Forget about rich people. This is about a group of employees not performing their work correctly, putting to shame the other possibly larger group of hard working individuals who get a bad reputation.

In that same line, it's about the companies not delivering the right incentives and controls to make sure their employees are happy and ultimately perform well.

Maybe Wages are an issue. These guys prob don't even get paid in relations to inflation, My wages have not changed in 7 years and its a piss off knowing how far it goes after the fact..People in general are getting pissed after hearing all the time how much upper whiter collars are getting for salary's and never mind that, the bonuses that they receive.. A Revolt may come, just give enough time
I Think its time to share a bit, How many of you have had a great idea and shared with your boss(s) and they take the credit for your great decision... Did you get a bonus, prob nothing as in most cases..
Well a great decision deserves something.. and it does filter all the way to the top..
you get a small part of the picture..Its by far bigger than I wish to Comment.
Simple fact Most of us are just P-ons so the big boys don't miss there golf tee..
This story can go forever, but unless Mankind Wakes up and see's the scope of the problem it will never be fixed, Just haves and Have NOT's!

dedparrot said:

What makes you think these people are rich? This looks like a pretty average middle class neighborhood to me, Just because someone has a camera on their property, doesn't make them rich. Hell, along with an alarm system, I installed a 4 camera dvr system (under $1k) at my mother's house because her place was broken into twice, and vandalized once. She isn't rich, but she feels a lot safer with the cameras, and so do I.

I'm glad these "rich people" are coming forward and exposing the jerks that we trust to deliver the packages that we paid our hard earned money for.

Now providing he didn't damage the shipment, this just seems like he was having a bad day. Not quite excusable but not really newsworthy in my opinion. We all have bad days once in a while (if it's everyday then you fire him).

Now providing he didn't damage the shipment, this just seems like he was having a bad day. Not quite excusable but not really newsworthy in my opinion. We all have bad days once in a while (if it's everyday then you fire him).

I'd can an employee's sorry butt in a heartbeat if they ever treated a customer's property with such blatant disrespect, and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it.

These guys have a hard job, but they also earn a very respectable living doing it. If they want to throw stuff around at work, they seem better suited slinging garbage cans for the sanitation department.

The Purolator guy that delivers to me is fantastic. He really enjoys his job and always has a big smile on his face. I remember in 2008 when we had that big snow storm (in Montreal area), our 100+ foot long lane way was snowed in well over a foot deep after just a few hours into the storm.

Our Purolator driver parked his truck at the end of the lane way and walked through the deep snow to our door. I heard the knock, I opened the door, and he looked the same as every other delivery, big smile, "Good morning!" he said. I remember laughing as I looked behind him at the blizzard and his tracks through the snow. I thanked him, and told him I appreciate him going the extra mile when he clearly didn't have to on this particular day.

I have also never had an issue with Purolator, my packages always arrive in good condition.

I used to order through Canada Post as it was cheaper. Seems to me Canada Post never knocks on my door, they always just leave the "sorry we missed you" notice in my mailbox. I can understand if the lane way isn't shoveled, however this even happens during the summer months. Not to mention a few times I've noticed my packages to be slightly damaged.

I'm sticking with Purolator. They also have good customer service, and if I miss a delivery, you can schedule a redelivery or go pick it up after 5 that day.

UPS hasn't been too bad, they never knock, but they leave the package for me in a safe spot outside my house, so that doesn't bother me.

Oh that was not so bad... And the toss packages like that all the time. Not saying flipping the bird was right... but the handling of that package is standard... unless that was a specifically marked fragle package that is common. I have seen worst handling at a warehouse where the package is still in the resellers hands...

You need to look closely at the video. The person delivering the package is NOT the UPS driver. It is his peak season helper. Peak season helpers only work 3 weeks during December for the Christmas rush to help out the UPS driver. You can see that the UPS driver is still in the truck when his dumb *** helper pulls a stupid move! If he would have been my helper I would have left him there. I've been a UPS driver for six years now and people like that give us drivers a bad rep. Pisses me off.

DokkRokken said:
dedparrot said:

Rich people are who keep these guys working during a recession. Just sayin'.

........ To make money for them (i.e. the Rich), so in reality the bigger beneficiary is still the richer person. ;)

+1 J

dedparrot said:
Poor people don't have video surveillance systems...

Guest said:
The Purolator guy that delivers to me is fantastic. He really enjoys his job and always has a big smile on his face. I remember in 2008 when we had that big snow storm (in Montreal area), our 100+ foot long lane way was snowed in well over a foot deep after just a few hours into the storm.

Our Purolator driver parked his truck at the end of the lane way and walked through the deep snow to our door. I heard the knock, I opened the door, and he looked the same as every other delivery, big smile, "Good morning!" he said. I remember laughing as I looked behind him at the blizzard and his tracks through the snow. I thanked him, and told him I appreciate him going the extra mile when he clearly didn't have to on this particular day.

I have also never had an issue with Purolator, my packages always arrive in good condition.

I used to order through Canada Post as it was cheaper. Seems to me Canada Post never knocks on my door, they always just leave the "sorry we missed you" notice in my mailbox. I can understand if the lane way isn't shoveled, however this even happens during the summer months. Not to mention a few times I've noticed my packages to be slightly damaged.

I'm sticking with Purolator. They also have good customer service, and if I miss a delivery, you can schedule a redelivery or go pick it up after 5 that day.

UPS hasn't been too bad, they never knock, but they leave the package for me in a safe spot outside my house, so that doesn't bother me.

Purolator has always been good for me as well, I use them all the time when I order from Newegg. Universal Package Smashers have given me too many boxes that look like they've been to hell and back. Never again.

Seems to me the "rich fool" is the ***** who cares so little about his job that he feels the freedom to throw it away, no big deal.
As has been said this is not about the customer but the delivery man. Let's stop blaming the victims (women, men, black, white, etc., etc.) and put it where it deservedly belongs - on the perpetrator.

Most of you don't even realize that UPS drivers make $70000+ a year and would never put their job in jeopardy in this manner. This is obviously seasonal help with no regret.

UPS driver, Boston

Back