Urgent, graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketchie

I need help!!!!

Quickly!!!!

I bought a new XFX HD 5770 Graphics card today (9/01/2010)

And it does not work....all connections are fine.....

However when i start my computer with the HD 5770 in it...it continuously restarts...ever couple of secs...itdoesnt even get to the start up screen.....for some reason it shorts out.....and restarts..

When i put my old car in it works fine....

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks.

What is your old card? It might be the power supply but I'd like to know more about your system specifications first.

Old card 8500GT no pci-e power required

May have solved issue....motherboard may not have been compatible with the board...

I am buying new motherboard, so hopefully that solves the problem...will post if problem solved...

This may be after the fact but did you uninstall the Nvidia graphics card driver before installing the ATI card?

The HD 5770 was not even allowing the computer to start up...it kept turning of then restarting within 2 seconds of restarting it.

You are supposed to uninstall drivers of your old card before putting in a new one. If your motherboard has a PCI-E slot then it should be compatible with the HD 5770. In future please provide proper details regarding your system when you ask for help. I see no point in taking such rushed decisions unless you're absolutely sure that it was your motherboard.

I did...but thats not what im saying....

The computer would not even start up....

It was shorting out or something....

Could not even start it...with the HD 5770 in it...however when i put the old car (85500GT) back in it, it would work...but not with the HD 5770 in it...

Card fault-electrical.
The card must be compatible with the motherboard of you wouldn't fit it into the slot. PCIex16, PCI and AGP are physically different.
Power supply unless total fritzed wouldn't cause the problem-the card doesn't draw significant power until it's being used in an OS enviroment. The GPU core and Vram are voltage/amp dependant-neither are in significant play in a POST or DOS enviroment.
Likewise a graphics driver is not the issue as it's not available in a DOS/POST situation.

Check to make sure the card is seated in the slot tho. Sometimes the card PCB can be warped and tightening the thumbscrew/PCI slot lock will pull the card out of the slot.

If that checks out OK then it's probably RMA time.
What makes you think it's motherboard incompatibility?

When i put my old car in it works fine....
Ritwik7 meant you were supposed to boot up with your old card, uninstall your old drivers, then put in your new card, but it is unlikely that is whats stopping your computer from booting.

I believe that the board is not able to support the new technologies of the newer cards...even though it may have a pic-e x16 slot...this was proven by putting in a 7800 GT with sli and that also did not work...so therefore it has something to do with the board...

However i am within the week getting a new custom system..

It will consist of

CPU: AMD Phenom II 810 X4 Quad Core 2.6Ghz
Ram: Giel 4GB DDr3 Ram
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785
Case: Antec TITAN

I believe that the board is not able to support the new technologies of the newer cards...even though it may have a pic-e x16 slot...this was proven by putting in a 7800 GT with sli and that also did not work.
The 7800 is even older than the 8500, that makes no sense, i've never heard of such a problem and doubt its existence!

CPU: AMD Phenom II 810 X4 Quad Core 2.6Ghz
Ram: Giel 4GB DDr3 Ram
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785
Case: Antec TITAN
Might want to keep your old system, this one doesn't seem to include a graphics card. While I think you should save your money and work out those issues with the 5770 as it is a good card and your processor is likely not too bad either, you can also opt to buy that computer, upgrade the power supply (if needed), then throw in your 5770 in it.

What is your old card? It might be the power supply but I'd like to know more about your system specifications first.
In future please provide proper details regarding your system when you ask for help.
And this too please...its usually helpful.

sorry bout my poor posting skills.....

The above new system includes the HD 5770

When i bought the HD 5770 i also bought at the time a new 650 watt psu

I doubt that it's a compatibility issue- if you could link to where you got the info it might shed some light.

Before you give up all hope....Check your BIOS
Under the M.I.T. tab ensure that "PCI Express Frequency" is set to 100 MHz -not Auto
Under the "Advanced Clock Control" tab ensure that "PCI Express Clock Drive" is set to 900mV
Under the "Advanced BIOS Features" tab encure that "Init. Display First" is set to PEG (not PCI)

Thanks for the help anyways mate...havent got my pc here its at family members place...

I really do appreciate ur help and in future i will do what u have menstioned..

I have already ordered the parts for the new pc

Do u think that the new pc is good???

Do u think that the new pc is good???
They weren't bad, there could have been slightly better choices but overall it is a powerful system.
Also there was no mention of powersupply and harddrive.

And it does not work....all connections are fine.....
Just to be clear, you did plug in the external power PCI-E power connector on the end of the graphics card, correct?

It has to be a defective card. It shouldn't be this difficult to get it to work. If it was a driver issue, it would still post since the Windows driver doesn't kick in before Windows starts. Since the old card works, the basic BIOS driver isn't the problem either.

If you install it into your new system and it doesn't work right away, I would return it as defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back