US excludes some Chinese imports from tariffs, potentially dropping motherboard and GPU...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The US Trade Representative's office is reinstating expired exemptions on some tariffs put on Chinese imports by the Trump administration. Among the items added to the exclusion list is Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs), an integral part of consumer hardware such as motherboards and graphics cards.

The USTR office has reinstated 352 expired product exclusions from US "Section 301" tariffs on Chinese imports, writes Reuters, which is fewer than the 549 eligible exemptions it had been considering. The products cover a range of the $370 billion worth of Chinese imports former president Trump hit with tariffs of 7.5% to 25% during the US-China trade war.

In among the items are electric motors, certain car parts and chemicals, backpacks, bicycles, vacuum cleaners, and PCBs. The exclusions are retroactive from October 12, 2021, through to December 31, 2022.

Tom's Hardware notes that there's a chance motherboard and graphics card makers will pass the savings on to consumers, though we'll likely see the former affected more than the latter, given that GPUs prices are impacted by other factors, such as scalpers and miners.

Last December, Nvidia and Zotac made a request to the USTR to reinstate exemptions on certain Chinse-manufactured electronic goods. Nvidia specifically cited the lack of GPU manufacturing outside of China. "The products are not manufactured in the US and in only limited amounts in Taiwan. Efforts to create new capacity in countries that presently do not manufacture such products (such as the US and Vietnam) were unsuccessful and were severely hampered by the fallout from COVID-19," Nvidia said.

HP also noted China's importance as the primary source of imports, while Apple, Google, and Intel filed comments urging the USTR to make certain Chinse-manufactured electronic goods exempt from tariffs.

Even if reinstating the exemptions does not affect graphics card prices, these have been falling recently. Germany has seen their lowest prices since the start of 2021, and one card in the country is actually below MSRP, while our research shows the average selling point of GPUs on eBay fell by another 10% between February and March. But as Nvidia points out, people are still paying around $300 more for a new RTX card than what they paid for their current GPU.

Permalink to story.

The pandemic and the current war will probably kill globalization and efforts will be made to bring back important industries, including tech. It will take decades, but it's still better than to depend on only two countries and one of them is an authoritarian regime that has claims on the other.

Learn what? There is nothing that China has done, or could do, that harmed us in any way beyond the equivalent of a mosquito bite. What the hell is wrong with you?

You continue to believe that.

The PRC literally erased Trump's presidency.

The Biden Administration is already showing signs of weakness backing down from the Putin War Machine. They best not wake the Dragon either.

You continue to believe that.

The PRC literally erased Trump's presidency.
1. I always believe the facts and the truth. Even if I don't like it.
2. The whole damn planet is erasing tRUMP. It is the rare time we all agree.
3. You didn't answer me. What has China done to us that we need to learn from?

The Biden Administration is already showing signs of weakness backing down from the Putin War Machine.
I'm no longer a big fan of Biden. But he has done at LEAST as much as any nation in Europe for Ukraine. And the people of Ukraine have nothing but praise for him.

Also. Putin (GFY) has no machine. Their war capabilities are more in line with poorly built wind up dolls.

Last edited:
The pandemic and the current war will probably kill globalization and efforts will be made to bring back important industries, including tech. It will take decades, but it's still better than to depend on only two countries and one of them is an authoritarian regime that has claims on the other.

I don't disagree with what you've said here. But with a caveat: Yes many major players like the US and the EU will work on bringing in some of those tech industries back home *eventually* but building something like a high end microprocessor foundry like the ones TSMC, Samsung and Intel operate could potentially take up to a decade to be fully operational.

So this isn't something they can just quit cold turkey: some non-essential companies will be forced to transition to people like Amazon, Microsoft and Google for cloud services and just let *them* worry about sourcing hardware to populate data centers (They're big enough that they'll probably get their own exceptions or other legal backdoors to get their chips even if they're manufactured by questionable countries) but the infrastructure that actually *IS* essential well, you probably don't want to follow Trump's lead and just discourage all commerce with China cold turkey overnight: Things like power grids, hospitals, air traffic control, etc. Just can't stop dead on their tracks because they can't source replacement parts or don't have the budget for a 25% increase in prices at least.

I believe this is what this announcement is about: Biden would like most semi-conductor companies to just build or support foundries in US or close allies at least, but won't put a continuous strain on the economy and everybody (Included the aforementioned non-essential sectors) will thank the relief in not having to commit to drastic changes that are quite expensive and can just slowly roll out in the future once more of the production moves away from China.

3. You didn't answer me. What has China done to us that we need to learn from?

Like hiding the situation of the covid making WHO to believe it is controllable when it break out in Wuhan and later also claim the source of virus is from a US Lab? Like banning foreign companies (google, facebook, etc) from entering to market to protect their own copycat companies? Like enforcing foreign company to share technology if they want to build factory in China? Like trying to fu*k up a river because India is at the down stream and they don't like each other? There are too many stories. e.g. fentanyl, Confucius Institute, Hauwei ...

Do you not read news?

Like hiding the situation of the covid making WHO to believe it is controllable when it break out in Wuhan and later also claim the source of virus is from a US Lab? Like banning foreign companies (google, facebook, etc) from entering to market to protect their own copycat companies? Like enforcing foreign company to share technology if they want to build factory in China? Like trying to fu*k up a river because India is at the down stream and they don't like each other? There are too many stories. e.g. fentanyl, Confucius Institute, Hauwei ...

Do you not read news?

Thank You for your effective and efficient reply!

Do you not read news?
Of course I read the news. Except none of that affects us. My question and statement was:
"Learn what? There is nothing that China has done, or could do, that harmed us in any way beyond the equivalent of a mosquito bite."

Even with COVID, they did that to everyone, not just us, and even the smallest country could have done the same thing, and his statement was "we better learn from the former-Trump administration. Don't mess with China."

Read thoroughly before commenting off-topic of what you quote. It's tiresome.

Thank You for your effective and efficient reply!
And he means that YouShallNotPass, because if you had not posted to at least come up with an answer, QuantumPhysics would not have posted again in this thread.
The Biden administration better learn from the former-Trump administration. Don't mess with China.
And you still haven't answered me. HOW HAS CHINA TAUGHT US A LESSON?

Last edited:
And you still haven't answered me. HOW HAS CHINA TAUGHT US A LESSON?

Do you not read news?

Do you not read news?
Wow. Word for word copy\paste. I already answered this as your minion was unable to distinguish between China's attitude towards laws of the world and directly to the US, as your post suggested when you cited trump and biden. And I am waiting for your own reply.

HOW HAS CHINA TAUGHT US A LESSON? HOW HAVE THEY CAUSED US DIRECT HARM, HERE?

Wow. Word for word copy\paste. I already answered this as your minion was unable to distinguish between China's attitude towards laws of the world and directly to the US, as your post suggested when you cited trump and biden. And I am waiting for your own reply.

HOW HAS CHINA TAUGHT US A LESSON? HOW HAVE THEY CAUSED US DIRECT HARM, HERE?

If China is screwing EVERYONE as you claim (accurately) then that includes the US. At least *try* to be semi-rational..you're sounding unhinged.

Should Biden also bow down to Putin like Trump?
Yea keeping peace, preventing war and having a giant super power on our side is considered bowing down I guess. Do you think we were owned by Russia when Trump was in office or something? I guess bowing down is the only way to keep gas prices under $2 a gallon eh?

If China is screwing EVERYONE as you claim (accurately) then that includes the US. At least *try* to be semi-rational..you're sounding unhinged.
What I meant is QP didn't say everyone, and singled out trump and biden specifically.

"The Biden administration better learn from the former-Trump administration. Don't mess with China."

So it seemed to me he was putting up his warning for us in America exclusively.

And my question was when China did harm to us, that wasn't part of China's basic disregard for the entire world.

Biden literally cut the throat of hopes for American Independence on Oil and resources. Now he's back tracking and right before the mid-term elections will open some new pipelines. Progressive and so-called environmentalists (Like John Kerry, has the biggest Carbon footprint of most people in gov't) completely ruined the American Democratic Party. The Democratic party went belly up after Bill Clinton. Bill was a good president for the economy, and cigar manufacturers. Remarkable what Monika could do with a cigar. :)

Biden literally cut the throat of hopes for American Independence on Oil and resources. Now he's back tracking and right before the mid-term elections will open some new pipelines. Progressive and so-called environmentalists (Like John Kerry, has the biggest Carbon footprint of most people in gov't) completely ruined the American Democratic Party. The Democratic party went belly up after Bill Clinton. Bill was a good president for the economy, and cigar manufacturers. Remarkable what Monika could do with a cigar. :)
It's like watching fox. Lots of bullshit and not a shred of proof.

Even with your cigar line, which was still funny, by the way, but Monica didn't do a thing with the cigar that Bill didn't dicktate. 🥵

It's like watching fox. Lots of bullshit and not a shred of proof.

Even with your cigar line, which was still funny, by the way, but Monica didn't do a thing with the cigar that Bill didn't dicktate. 🥵
Well, Here's the proof of the energy policies of this admin:
Forbes article

We are centuries away from any sort of efficiency with Solar. The best and cleanest is Nuclear, and they killed that as well.

If you want hard news about how the left and Biden are affecting the energy sector, just visit reputable financial sights.

I politically lean middle/right. The Democratic party use to have some rather good people, there still are a few, but the progressives have taken the party into nowhere land. Making the US the laughingstock of the world. (So do the hard right leaning people who are just as fanatical on other things, and I can't stand them as well).

Well, Here's the proof of the energy policies of this admin:
Forbes article

We are centuries away from any sort of efficiency with Solar. The best and cleanest is Nuclear, and they killed that as well.

If you want hard news about how the left and Biden are affecting the energy sector, just visit reputable financial sights.

I politically lean middle/right. The Democratic party use to have some rather good people, there still are a few, but the progressives have taken the party into nowhere land. Making the US the laughingstock of the world. (So do the hard right leaning people who are just as fanatical on other things, and I can't stand them as well).
Well first off brother, we can agree that cancelling the pipeline was not such a good idea. That still remains to be seen. But the right's (not you) claim that it would be a huge help now is disingenuous at best, a lie at its worst.

"Though the Keystone Pipeline XL had secured full funding through 2022, only 8% of it had been built by the time President Biden revoked the project’s permit in the United States."

And man, the comment about "centuries" for solar is absolutely not right.

Last. About your comments on nuclear. Its wiki, but very well sourced at the bottom.

And by the way, I was and still am a fan of nuclear power.
But facts are facts.

Yea keeping peace, preventing war and having a giant super power on our side is considered bowing down I guess. Do you think we were owned by Russia when Trump was in office or something? I guess bowing down is the only way to keep gas prices under $2 a gallon eh?
If you seriously believe that Trump "kept" the peace then you don't know wtf happened around the world, especially around where I live.

Ukraine's position against Russia literally collapsed because of what Trump did and I know this be for a fact, I saw it with my own eyes (I live in Romania, I have a boss who's from Ukraine). And it wasn't just Ukraine, other eastern countries too, like Moldova, our Romanian brothers were heavily affected by his crap. Russia had free reign in eastern Europe. The US lost ALL credibility during Trump's stupid presidency and countries were forced to get closer to Russia because of Trump. Extremist parties had a field day after he blackmailed Ukraine's president. The US had zero allies here during Trump and this is the result.

And I don't freaking care about the gas prices. I will gladly pay double only to see Putin lose power, unlike you who only cares about gas, not what is happening right now. WTF is wrong with you people and your obsession with gas prices? You literally have some of the cheapest gas in the world.

Why is it that all Trump supporters parrot the gas price thing as if it's an achievement to bow down to Putin while also licking Saudi Arabia's ars?

This past month I made multiple donations for Ukraine and also helped refugees in Bucharest. Last Tuesday I helped someone apply for a canadian visa. This is my reality, not what you've been daydreaming.

Last edited:
of course! If US had a strong leader like Putin, US might be great again! LOL
but unlikely since Wall street actually controls the elections
To be fair, Trump would have loved Wall Street to have that much power since he's a big player in that place. Fortunately he couldn't steal the election. :)

It's humorous to see people still caught in the trap of believing in nation states rather than globalized money.

Sure, nations do still exist. Are they so vastly important in terms of charting their own destinies in the face of globalized money? No.

Nationalism obsessiveness keeps the plebs distracted and in line. Meanwhile, big corporations don't have any nationalism bias. They'll take money wherever and however they can get it. Corporations are not people. They are puppeteering by globalized monied elites.

The world is not a big game of football.

Back