US to ban sale of hacking tools to authoritarian governments, including China and Russia

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The United States Department of Commerce has announced that it will ban the sale or export of hardware and software that can be used for malicious cyber activities to authoritarian regimes, including China and Russia.

The Commerce Department writes that the export of cybersecurity items to countries of national security or weapons of mass destruction concern will require a license from the department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS). Countries subject to a US arms embargo and those deemed by the US to have a history of human rights abuses are subject to the same ban.

The rule, set to go into effect 90 days from yesterday (October 20), is being put in place for national security and anti-terrorism reasons. It aims to prevent foreign agents from using US-built tools to hack American businesses, organizations, and government entities.

“The United States Government opposes the misuse of technology to abuse human rights or conduct other malicious cyber activities, and these new rules will help ensure that US companies are not fueling authoritarian practices,” writes the BIS.

China and Russia are the two biggest nations that will be impacted by the new rule. Russian hackers, of course, have been attacking US interests for years, often at the behest of their country’s government—according to US security agencies. One of the most notable Russian hacks on a US business in recent times was against Cybersecurity giant FireEye, a $3.5 billion company that has contracts with governments and corporations around the world.

President Biden recently told Vladimir Putin to act on Russian ransomware attacks, warning that such incidents could lead to a “real shooting war.”

TechCrunch notes that the new rule doesn’t cover software designed for cyber defense purposes as it won’t prevent cybersecurity researchers based in the US from collaborating with colleagues overseas or disclosing flaws to software makers.

Permalink to story.

... well since the Israelis make the best tools ... and we buy them from third-parties .. this means nothing ..

smoke and mirrors...

I'm sure that state sponsored hackers were using US tech, and totally not their own tools. What fool believes that?
President Biden recently told Vladimir Putin to act on Russian ransomware attacks, warning that such incidents could lead to a “real shooting war.”

Yeah, I'm real sure that worked. Wasn't it just two months ago that Hair Sniffer asked pretty please to the world not to hack certain targets? This man has all the authority of wet noodles.

If I were Putin I'd be hacking the feds just out of spite at this point.

They don't want us to know the truth about our government being so crooked and evil.

We all know the truth. Thanks Brandon.

They don't want us to know the truth about our government being so crooked and evil.

We all know the truth. Thanks Brandon.
That's not new information. I don't think attacking hospitals, pipelines, and all sorts of regular businesses with ransomware attacks is going to reveal such crucial information about the government being crooked and evil in this instance lol

If the tools are made. It doesn't matter if they are banned from sale to those countries. They will get them elsewhere. And the audacity in thinking they are not smart enough to make their own tools is beyond laughable.

The smart thing would be to track them. Make them reveal their location while they are being used. Hard code tracking, so that it would be impossible to strip from the tools. Tracking tools that can't phone home should be disabled until they can. What needs to be banned is hacking tools that don't announce their usage and location.

What a quagmire - glad I'm not an American.

I can go online and buy tools , hackers times from a wide menu - for not much money

More importantly - how - just how do you define these tools

I don't do software etc - but I've heard of source code, debuggers , and penetration testing tools - are they on the black list - who decides ?.

If you provide info? - that is available on public science/university sites are you guilty - people have been prosecuted before in The USA over stuff see to help foreign military powers doing this

How many white hats have been arrested now ????

Remember the US government and its agents have qualified immunity to destroy your life - or bankrupt you , to kill you ( yes kill you ) . You have nearly no legal recourse - as these QI are backed up by your higher courts .

Anyone who studies law - know it's incredibly have to draft - does not matter what Senate/Congress wanted - The courts - the public prosecutors , the police, FBI, lawyers and Judges will all do their best to purpose it as it see fits .

Anyway - these are just my thoughts - what's that group Civil Liberties Union? bet they will do a good assessment of it

Back