USB 2.0 external hardrive not working on Windows 7

Hi I made an old hardrive in to a usb storage device from a Seagate momentus 5400.3 hardrive(comes up as 2.0 sata bridge in device manager)it has been working fine on my desktop xp and on my ps3 but I cant get it to load on my new Dell xps windows 7 laptop .when I plug it on the light comes on so I know its working properley but it does not show up in my computer it does show up in my devices but it wont allow me to open it .I have reinstalled the the drivers and ran the troubleshoot program and it says the device is working properly but I still cant open it .ive also tried going in to disk manage ment and it shows up as disk 1 and online I havvetried to right click on it to gat it to format but it just comes up help. any ideas whats wrong as it has all my photos ,videos music etc on it.

i have now got it working.
when i plugged it back in to my desktop xp i went in to disk management and noticed there was still part of the drive marked as a recovery partion i just deleted that partition . i then plugged it back to the laptop and it recognised it straight away . ps i have no idea why this worked it just did.
wayne

Back