USB 3.0 Problems

boxpwner

I recently bought a new Motherboard for my PC, it is a GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H, it has a USB 3.0 plug in. However even though I plugged my USB 3.0 plug into it I still have no use. These are my front USB 3.0s, although the sound and mic work fine in the front. I currently am using a Windows 8 64-bit computer and have all drivers up to date, I am wondering if there is a way to turn it on in the BIOS.

It seems to me like you are plugging the USB 3.0 device into the front of your case. If they are not working, it means you probably never connected the USB 3.0 header plug from the motherboard into the case plugs.

This is what I am talking about BTW:
usb-3.0_fp-header.jpg

Just to clarify though, you are trying to connect your device using the front case USB plugs? Also, if you plug the USB 3.0 device into the motherboard directly (in the back of the case), does the device work?

Your front may not have USB 3 headers. You'll need a case with USB 3 headers because there are twice as many connections as USB 2.

I have USB 3.0 headers, and my motherboard has only one spot to plug them in, however they worked fine on my old motherboard and I have them plugged in, I just am not getting them to work.

I have USB 3.0 headers, and my motherboard has only one spot to plug them in, however they worked fine on my old motherboard and I have them plugged in, I just am not getting them to work.
Are you sure your old motherboard didnt have USB 2 headers vs USB 3?

I have USB 3.0 headers, ...

You have multiple headers, or just a singular header? This is important.

3ybBV.jpg

As you can see, a USB3.0 header (e.g. the cable running from case front ports into your motherboard area) is one large cable. A USB2.0 header cable is half the size. You cannot plug the smaller ones into the larger mobo socket - they are incompatible without an adaptor.

Just one large header like shown in the top with 19 pins. It is also blue, just like the USB 3.0s on the front of my case.

Okay, well double-check that your chipset drivers for mobo are updated. Otherwise, I'm not sure where else to go - apart from physical damage. :(

You might need some driver updates/bios updates among other things for full compatibility. While I love gigabyte boards, they are notorious for having issues with firmware being outdated and incompatible with certain things.

(For instance, their MITX A88 board boasted A10 7850k support out of box but would not boot on those chips unless a bios update was applied using an older chip...)

I have it all updated, I will open the computer up and check everything when I get home. I do have a COM port and that has to be plugged in for me to be able to use the on/off button and have the leds turn on and off. The issue with that is that it does not reach around my PSU. I will test it out later and take pictures of things for you guys.

Back