Usb 3 ports do not work(no response, no electricity)

I just bought an HP 250 G7 laptop. The usb 3 ports do not work. when I plug a flash memory or a mouse or an external hard nothing happens not even a sound or error message .(the usb2 works perfectly) .I tried everything literally every solution to get them to work but they won't work. (updating, reinstalling, adjusting bios settings for usb, power options(all of them such as turning off fast startup, disabling the usb selective..., deselecting that allow power to turn this device off in device properties ,..) trying to fix it through cmd prompt, etc but none of them worked. then I realized that even before windows pops up when I plug the mouse into the usb2 the led is turns on but it doesn't so when I plug it in to usb 3 which means there was no voltage at usb 3 port in the first place. I wanted to open up the rare panel to check if the usb3 cable was connected(if there is such cable) or just take a look at it in order to see if there is some obvious physical problem with it but I'm afraid if this would void the guarantee. and I also wanted to move the battery and hold down the power botton for 30 second in order to have the main board caps discharged(they say it works most of the time) but unfortunately the battery is inside. does only opening it in order to do a physical-check and voltage-test void the guarantee? what is the solution? is it definitely a hardware problem ?

thanks in advance.

Since it is new...you should do a couple things: Run Windows update ....type > Check for Updates on the search (bottom left) and do that until all of them are downloaded (avoid the optional updates) and you might want to avoid Win10 vers 2004 (for now) since there have been some issues with that major update too. Next you might want to connect your laptop to HP and allow them to auto update and drivers or BIOS updates for your laptop. One of those might cure your problem.

Since it is new you can return it to the seller and get it exchanged. Most retailers have a 1 or 2 week return policy on defects, outside of that window you are stuck with RMA back to HP. They should work and there is no reason you should have to try to so hard on something new out of the box.

Since it is new...you should do a couple things: Run Windows update ....type > Check for Updates on the search (bottom left) and do that until all of them are downloaded (avoid the optional updates) and you might want to avoid Win10 vers 2004 (for now) since there have been some issues with that major update too. Next you might want to connect your laptop to HP and allow them to auto update and drivers or BIOS updates for your laptop. One of those might cure your problem.

Since it is new you can return it to the seller and get it exchanged. Most retailers have a 1 or 2 week return policy on defects, outside of that window you are stuck with RMA back to HP. They should work and there is no reason you should have to try to so hard on something new out of the box.
thanks for your response . I already did all kinds of updates with either windows itself or with several types of software (easy drive, etc) but someone said that it might make your computer not work if you update the BIOS. so it is kind of risky to do so! I also wanna know the fact that both usb3 ports do not have any electricity on them(even in dos) can be construed to be necessarily a hardware default or not. and also I didn't understand what you meant by saying " connect your laptop to HP".

BIOS updates are very much a part of the IT Tech's life. I too had to get over my fear of ruin a laptop or a motherboard when I was flashing the BIOS. The 2 things to pay attention to when performing that is that the battery in the laptop is fully charged but the laptop is plugged in when doing the update. Some BIOS updates require previous BIOS updates before applying the latest one. Sme BIOS updates require certain driver versions be installed before applying a new BIOS update. You just have to read the instructions carefully.

If you Google your laptop you will find the support pages of HP and they have a method of you entering some numbers in on the website that you have on your laptop (like ser#). That will take you to the correct page for your website and you can download drivers. Some laptop manufacturers offer a auto detect method of checking for this drivers (I think HP does too)....so it will auto check your laptop for any drivers you need or are missing.

When USB 3.0 came out (before Windows 10) it always needed a separate driver loaded when I installed WIndows 7 so I don't think you could expect them to work in DOS.

It should be possible to find out what the BIOS update was for. Just doing it hoping that it will solve a problem shouldn't be the first choice. If it isn't directly related to your issue it's a risk not worth taking.
As pointed out already if it's new this should be approached via the seller. If you mess around and screw things up you have little comeback.

Back