USB device over current status detected error - I'm stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

Hi,

For the past week this error message has appeared on my screen upon boot:

USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer will shut down in 15 seconds

I've been determined to solve it but it just won't go away. I cannot get my computer started at all, or even access BIOS settings. My computer specification can be found in the link in the top right, the motherboard in question is the ASUS P5K-E.

After reading forum discussions involving the same problem, I've tried nearly everything.

• Disconnecting front USB panel,
  • Removing all USB devices before switching on
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Powering up the computer with minimum components connected
  • Checked for short circuit problems (spare screws/motherboard touching case...)

The remaining suggestions are;

• starting it up outside of the case
  • loosening the screws that connect the motherboard to the case

I'm going to attempt them solutions tomorrow. I would like to know if there are any other solutions to this problem though, as I am quickly running out of ideas. Perhaps the error is not caused by a short circuit and could be something else?

Lastly, I must mention that the computer has operated without the problem for 12 months. HOWEVER; one USB port (onboard) has been unstable for around two months since I tried connecting my keyboard (instrument) to my computer. I seen a message pop up in the bottom right hand corner indicating "power surge on USB port" (or something close). When I seen that message, the mouse (usb powered) and other components would stop working until I reconnected them. The "USB Over Current Status Detected" error came about last week after I shut the computer down, but I recall that the last thing I done on my computer beforehand was inserting my 1gb memory stick into the (defective?) USB port, and seeing the "power surge on USB port" message appear.

Thank you very much if you can help,

Schmutz...

Yeah, this sounds serious! If you can't get into BIOS, then it's pretty much a hardware problem. You even said you reset CMOS, so if that's the case, you have a serious hardware issue. I'd take to the computer store. Your MoBo may be flacking out.

-- Andy

I think you're right. There really isn't any options remaining. I've just attempted to start the system outside of the case and get the same error, so there went my last ideas...

I'll take it to a computer store as you've suggested, the motherboard is still under warranty.........

Yes please RMA the Motherboard
Do not pay for any further help from a computer tech store though!

Yes please RMA the Motherboard
Do not pay for any further help from a computer tech store though!

The only problem with this is that I have returned the motherboard once before when in fact another component was defective. I hope that I am able to return it again... And if I am, I would like to be at least 90% sure that the motherboard is causing the problem. If it is fine to RMA a product as many times as you like within the warranty period then I can safely avoid paying for it to be assessed at a PC repair store...

You have little to fear. If you have a warranty and want to return, 99% they will do it. When I got into the computer business, I was stunned at how easy it is for customers to return ANYTHING! The msot they may do is ask some questions and, at worst, try some troubleshooting. But, really, it's not a big deal. I've returned product I buy for my business. Returned various items and, often, no questions asked other than, "What's wrong with it" They sometimes test it to verify that's it defective and I get a replacement. It's industry wide.

If your MoBo's under warranty, don't worry, it will get replaced.

-- Andy

What were the results from BenchTesting it?

Have you tried othercomponents? (another PowerSupply; Ram; data cables etc)
Once all components are discounted you can then feel assured that the Motherboard is, again, faulty

If you have not tested with known working parts (including CPU) then there is still the chance that it is not the Motherboard

Strange Thought

HOWEVER; one USB port (onboard) has been unstable for around two months since I tried connecting my keyboard (instrument) to my computer. I seen a message pop up in the bottom right hand corner indicating "power surge on USB port" (or something close).

Doesn't make sense but I get somehow your keyboard zapped the USB port?

As cheap as keyboards are (normally) ditch the keyboard.

Just a thought

What were the results from BenchTesting it?

Have you tried othercomponents? (another PowerSupply; Ram; data cables etc)
Once all components are discounted you can then feel assured that the Motherboard is, again, faulty

If you have not tested with known working parts (including CPU) then there is still the chance that it is not the Motherboard

I don't have spare components to test with unfortunately :( I have the computer I'm using now, but it's a different RAM type, processor, and it uses AGP graphics cards instead of PCI-E.

Doesn't make sense but I get somehow your keyboard zapped the USB port?

As cheap as keyboards are (normally) ditch the keyboard.

Just a thought

It was a Keyboard/Piano, not a computer keyboard! I think you're correct about how the problem was caused though...

Just want to report that the item has been found to be faulty and I'm going to receive a full refund. (I don't think the motherboard is available on ebuyer.com anymore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back