USB Over Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

After my bios(1701) posts i am prompted "USB Over Current Detected System Reseting In 15 Seconds, Please Remove Over Current USB Device". This happens even with no USB devices connected to my rig. I have checked there are no shorts or components touching anywhere nere any of my USB ports. I can get the system to run by disabling the error reporting in my bios. But can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is it a false positive? Is this problem common with my board(ASUS P5N32-E SLI)? Is it safe/advisable to run my system with the error repporting tunned off? Sandrasoft and Everest all report everything fine regarding all my USBs. My specs E8500 3.17Ghz, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, ASUS EN9600GT, 4Gb DDR2 677Mhz, Trust 570W PRO PSU, Artic Frezzer Pro 7 fan.

Did some searching in Google, apparently this can be caused by a missing jumper on the motherboard. You might want to check that first.

I havent removed or replaced any jumpers other than moving my cmos reset jumper to reset my bios. Can you give me the link regarding the missing jumper info?

Had a thought. The Vista 64 Ultimate that i am running does something to the OEM bios evertime my rig cold boots(Runs some kind of dos script just after bios posts) so as to circumvent the microsoft activation Windows stuff. Could this have somthing to do with the USB Over Current Detecteted?

Cant seem to find any missing jumpers on or around my board any other thoughts?

Now just of of curiosity did you update the bios?

On the asus website they seem to indicate there is a glitch in the bios. They recommend unplugging the computer, clearing the bios by removing the battery and moving the bios jumper from 1-2 postion to 2-3 position. You're manual should show you where that is.

I did update the bios from 1407 to 1501. I had to because of memory recognition issues (Upgraded from 2Gb to 4Gb). I have cleared my cmos, all this done was allow me to enter the bios where i was able to turn off the onboard error reporting. This allowed me atleast to get windows to post. Turrning off the error reporting does seen to have elimanated the issue, however is this advisable?

To be honest with you if it's under warranty then by all means send it in for repair. I just has an asus motherboard with an odd bios problem. It ended up having a bad bios chip, but it took me updating the bios to make the problem show up. If it's not underwarrantly anymore, keep an eye on the asus website to see if they release a newer bios. I could be that the current bios has an odd glitch in it that an newer version will correct. One last idea, try installing only one stick of memory and see what that does.

Have you tried removing any additional usb hubs? Perhaps it's a short that you can't see. Generally the front case ports are the issue if it's shorting :)

Just pull out the connector to the mobo and see if it works?

Agree. Start by disconnecting all USB devices and hubs.

And then.. open Device Manager. Under USB, rt click Properties for each hub. Click the Power tab to see the power draw Windows indicates for each hub and device. Keep an eye on them as you plug stuff in and see when it goes over 500mA and the power draw on each hub and device on each hub

I just cant quite seem to find a solution to this problem. Dont want to RMA my board to ASUS, take forever. Tested all USB ports using a multimeter, all ports correct voltage/amps. Also Everest, Sandrasoft and device manager report accepable Voltage/mA. Could this be a false posative?

Verify you have hooked up all the power connectors to the motherboard properly. Also, try unplugging the cable for the case's USB ports and seeing if the problem goes away.

Tested all USB ports including all mentioned above! System runs fine, constant 41-43c/constant 50-55c underload. No power problems or any other problems accept this USB Over Current problem which is only apparent in after the bios(1701) posts, could this be a false positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back