USB ports not working after drivers installed

Marcbmann

I've just finished installing a new motherboard (Asus P5P43TD) into a friend's computer about 2 hours ago and have been unable to get the USB ports working. I installed the chipset drivers, Ethernet controller drivers, and Asus EPU-4 drivers, but the USB ports simply do not function. Which means I have to do everything with a friggin keyboard. That has made things interesting to say the least. I grabbed the most recent chipset drivers off of Asus's website and it installed the SMBus drivers (which I beleive are responsible for USB) and everything else. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specifications:
Motherboard: Asus P5P43TD
Video Card: XFX 8800 GTX
Sound Card: Creative Extreme Gamer
Hard drive, Optical drive, and PSU are unknown.

Give this a shot. See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

Well, I gave it a shot. Windows was unable to install device drivers. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't seem to get the Ethernet ports working either. The reason he got a new motherboard was because this SAME exact thing was occurring with his last motherboard, and he was told by tech support that it was most likely a hardware failure.
At this point I'd just reformat his hard drive because it seems to me like his OS is corrupt, but he has a lot to loose.
Any suggestions? Am I right or wrong?

At this point I'd just reformat his hard drive because it seems to me like his OS is corrupt, but he has a lot to loose.
Create a Knoppix CD to
> See if you can boot the machine into Knoppix. See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]
> Copy all those file/folders before a reformat
> Plus if the Knoppix boot fails as well may be telling of other problems??

Even in worst case, yoiu should be able to remove the hard drive and get a USB enclosure to connect it to another machine to get personal data from it before any reformat.

Sorry for digging this up again, but I haven't had time to do this.
First off the machine can boot, it always has been able to boot. I decided to go the lazy route and plug the drive into my machine. Now I'm a bit confused as to what I should do.

Do I:
A. Backup the drive with a program like Macrium Reflect? If I recover this backup file will this just overwrite the Windows install and bring back old problems? Or will it just recover the files and leave the Windows install alone? What are the pros and cons of doing it this way?

OR

B. Copy the files and folders over to another hard drive and reinstall windows on the original hard drive, and then copy the files and folders back over? If I do this will his programs still work (I know they most likely won't)? What are the pros and cons of doing it this way?

You've been incredibly helpful LookinAround! I do greatly appreciate it!

Hi Marcbmann

1) I would do the Macrium system backup to be assured you've captured all personal files and folders onto the backup. When you do the Recover you get the option to recover either the entire disk or just specific files and folders.
> Yes, recovering the entire disk would simply bring back a mirror image of the disk with all the problems (also tell Macrium to validate the backup as well)
> So you'd be best to do a clean Windows reinstall and then you can run Macrium and only recover personal files/folders
> I like the full disk backup option so i'm guranteed to have everything avaiable to select for folder/file recovery
> And, of course, put all the backups on a DIFFERENT drive then the one you're reinstalling (e.g. use an external drive)

2. That said, i'm usually paranoid enough to run BOTH full disk backup as well as then also doing simple copy/paste of files/folders as extra precaution :D

3) Couple other tips i've found also found helpful when planning a clean reinstall. Things to do BEFORE the reinstall (since as you guessed above, all installed programs must be reinstalled.. can't be just copied back onto to new install)
> Make sure you have all your Windows product activation keys (can use use keyfinders like Produkey, if needed)
> Look through Add/Remove programs. Make sure you know how to reinstall stuff in there (e.g. are online downloads available? or do you need to find an install CD?
> Also make sure you have activation keys for any paid products as you'll need to reactivate

Hope the info helps :)

/* EDIT */
Oh. one more thing. Do a driver backup as well. May save time and grief later if you have to hunt down difficult drivers
See [post=921371]How to backup your drivers (and reinstall them later if and when needed!) [/post]

Hi Marcbmann,

You may want to check the USB setting in the BIOS on your PC.

Ok this may not work but might be worth looking into as i know couple people who have suffered this problem when re-installing windows (though how i don know).

I know you have an award BIOS but im not sure exactly how this is set out but you need to look for the USB configuration settings. You cna use the steps below as a guide.

• Press F2 or DEL whichever you need to enter your BIOS
  • Depending on how your BIOS is laid out you will need to look for the Advanced or Advanced Configurations Section
  • Look for USB Function Make sure this is set to Enabled
  • Check for USB 2.0 Controller. again make sure this is set to enabled.
  • Lastly the Legacy USB Support must be set AUTO if you have this.
  • Press F10 to save and Exit setup to reboot

Hope this helps
James

Back