Used computer help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am getting a new computer for extensive photoshop work (I am a photographer).

Previously a PC user, but looking at macs

First looked at Imac but told they have calibration issues

So looking at a used G5 tower, and getting seperate eizo monitor (also second hand).

I did see the community's thread about not comparing pentium 4 clockspeed to core 2 duo as they don't compare (great news).

What do you all think about the following specs

Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3GHz Hardware: 250GB + 160GB Hard Drives 8GB RAM Super Drive DL( Burns DVDs & CDs) 128MB VRAM (ATI Radeon 9600) Built- in Ethernet Apple Pro Key Board Apple Mighty Mouse 3 USB 2.0 Ports 2 Firewire 400 Ports, 1 Firewire 800 Port Modem Digital Audio In/Out Software: OS 10.5.6 ( No CD) iLive (iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, Garage Band) Toast Titanium Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage) Adobe CS3

It has good RAM which i know is important, but not the latest clock speed? Does this really matter.

I will be downloading 18mb files straight from camera, and photoshoping. Also editing hundreds of photos in Bridge/ACR. Do you all think this is up to the task?

If you can afford it you'd be better of with an older mac pro. That way you'd get newer hardware and you could add more ram if you needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back