Used Dell will not take used HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaink2000

well i got a dell 330 on ebay with no hd or cd rom.so i cant get it too see the used hd i got or the used cd rom.i try too boot xp but get the ole( setup was unable too find any hard drive).so now how do i hook up the cables rite so the pc can find the hd and cd rom.and what do i set in bois too reinstall my xp.there is 2 ports on the mother board to cable in. sometimes it finds the cd rom but not the hd.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.help.

Are you certain your memory module(s) is/are good?
Do you get the setup screens when you press <F2> or <F12>?
Tell us the Service Tag number, or a more complete description of the model number from the label stuck to the bottom. This will help us in understanding the configuration. Or tell us if it is a Dimension, Optiplex, Latitude, or Inspiron.
You may have to download the Chipset, BIOS, video graphics, and optical drive firmware drivers to a USB drive, then format the drive on another computer and install Windows from there, after which you can add the chipset.
You might also consider booting to an external floppy drive holding an earlier version of Boot setup for W98, WMe, or WXP... there are floppy disk versions available by download to four floppy disks that will help over-ride some things that are wrong on a WXP install.

Not to worry yet. There are lots of things to try.
Most Dell motherboards and CPU's are pretty good. Power supplies of some models fail frequently. We just need to know more about the model you have so we can look up the likely good and bad... and options for testing.

tag is 3sxogo1/express serv code-8278848001.and its a precision 330.desktop.no cd,s,no nothing.and it boots the xp cd fine til the f8 to start.then it says{setup was unable too find any hard drive)..the used hard drive is a 7.6 maxtor.model-30768h1 .power is good.black case.like this one on ebay-
Item number: 190277122051

Dell Precision 330 Workstation.
Maxtors are famous for this. Is it used or New. I assume it is a SATA drive.
Can you test with another hard drive.
When you boot, can you access the BIOS or Setup by pressing the the <F2> or <F12> key after you press the on button?
Since it is a used machine, it is possible that the cables were damaged when the drive was removed. So test with another cable and another hard drive, using the Dell setup.
Or format the Maxtor in another computer to verify that it is good. The Dell should then detect it once it is formatted.

hard drive is good.formatted.what is the hard drive the prim or the sec,in the drp down menu in bios.and it has/ auto /off/1 ,2,3,4 and so on for the size of the drive.do i put any in there ,,,come close to the size of the drive?.the win 98 cd worked a while back on a nother drive.but i cant get the drivers working so i have a linux xp 07 and win xp i like.the only problem is the hard drive is not showing.everything else is good.

ok now it is working somewhat.it keeps repeating the install up too the 1st boot.after it reboots from formating,to finish install. it keeps booting back too the beginning.?

cant boot from hard drive to finish install

i got it,,,,.this is an email i got from someone here{.Do you have all drives on auto detect?that was it.wow.all done.thks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back