Using a different ssd on a macbook pro?

I have a macbook pro which recently had a SSD failure. I need to replace the drive but I am unsure on my limitation on what I can purchase. I am running intensive audio plugins, so I do need a solid state drive with good specs, but outside of that, do I need to get a specific type of SSD for my laptop model, or will any SSD work for installation and use?

If you are positive that is the exact model of MBP you have (same year and season/time) then you should be able to use just about any 9.5mm thick SSD in that MBP - but it may be a little work getting it open and installed. Make sure you have both a tiny phillips and a tiny star screwdriver before working on it.

Another thing that is important along with needing to know the year and time of year of release is what OS are you running? If its 10.10 you will need to disable kext signing to enable TRIM. kext signing wasn't available in 10.9 and prior so you really aren't 'losing' anything compared to prior releases, but if its really important to you then you will have to get an expensive Apple SSD.

Back