Using Windows 10 isn't enough, Microsoft plans to "Upgrade the World" too

dkpope

Staff

When Microsoft introduces Windows 10 on July 29, it isn't settling for a press conference or a single event launch. Instead, Microsoft will begin their campaign to “Upgrade the World” through global advertising, a marketing campaign, and charity work.

On July 29, there will be a slew of Microsoft hosted fan celebrations in 13 cities around the world, including Sydney, Beijing, Tokyo, Sao Paolo, London, Berlin, Madrid, Singapore, Johannesburg, Nairobi, New Delhi, Dubai and New York City. What can you expect to find at these events? There will be hands-on activities, demos, entertainment and interaction with the Windows team.

If you’re not close to one of the fan celebrations, Microsoft will also celebrate the Windows 10 launch in more than 110 Microsoft stores in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. These events also happen on the 29th, with in-store stations designed to help customers upgrade to Windows 10.

Microsoft has also arranged extra help for consumers looking to upgrade through retail partners such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Partners will provide data migration services and experience stations where people can try out Windows 10.

From the beginning, Windows 10 has been unique... Our approach to launch is also unique - focused on a more aspirational goal, inspired by Windows 10," said Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President, Windows and Devices Group, in a blog post detailing the launch plans.

Prepare for a new onslaught of TV and digital ads, part of a multi-million-dollar global campaign from Microsoft, highlighting Windows 10 features, such as Windows Hello security technology and Microsoft Edge browser.

“Upgrade Your World” isn’t just a slogan. It is Microsoft’s year-long initiative to work with 10 global and 100 local nonprofits "to help them upgrade the world." The company will invest $10 million in cash to the participating partners, which include CARE, Code.org, Keep a Child Alive, The Global Poverty Project, The Malala Fund, The Nature Conservancy, Pencils of Promise, Save the Children and Special Olympics.

Image credit: RoSonic / Shutterstock.com

Permalink to story.

Microsoft is really trying to be the nice guy aren't they? Giving the OS away, and donating to charities? I might not be a fan of them, but I can appreciate the gesture. I look forward to installing Windows 10 on my computers.

Ain't no free lunch .... never has been and never will be ... just waiting for the other shoe to drop!

With Microsoft there is alot of free lunches for alot of people with them giving away more than a billion dollars to charities over the years which excludes what Bill Gates gives.

There may have been some shady things in the early days of MS and I am sure there are something behind closed doors but all in all alot is given back to people who need it.

The money MS charges for products these days (outside of the surface) are very reasonable in pricing.

Ain't no free lunch .... never has been and never will be ... just waiting for the other shoe to drop!
Reminds me of the floppy disks in the mail from AOL - - this is maneuver is a great technique to create a brand name presence.

I'm no fanboy of MS, so like those floppies - - I'll just trash it.

Back