Valve beefs up account security with Steam Guard

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Valve has announced a new security measure for Steam that should help safeguard accounts being hijacked, which is apparently the service's number one support issue according to Valve boss Gabe Newell. Called Steam Guard, the feature takes advantage of Intel's Identity Protection Technology (IPT), a hardware-based security technology that exists in second-generation Core processors.

IPT generates a new six-digit password every 30 seconds and that code is used in conjunction with your standard credentials to provide another layer of security -- not unlike Blizzard's Battle.net Authenticator, which is widely used among WoW players. Sandy Bridge owners will be able to link their Steam account to a specific PC and will be notified if any unauthorized PCs attempt to gain entry.

"We expect to see widespread adoption of hardware-based security like Intel IPT by other service providers," said Doug Lombardi, Valve's Vice President of Marketing. "If as a customer you are buying movies, music, games, or digital goods, you want to know that they are more secure than your physical goods." Steam Guard is available to third parties to use in their software via Steamworks.

Permalink to story.

And what if I want to log in on another PC? If the second PC doesn't run a Sandy Bridge system it won't have IPT so I won't be able to set it as an authorized system.

Well at least they are making an effort. I would say it does make it one more reason to get a newer computer, if security is an issue.

"Sandy Bridge owners will be able to link their Steam account to a specific PC and will be notified if any unauthorized PCs attempt to gain entry. "

Princeton said:
And what if I want to log in on another PC? If the second PC doesn't run a Sandy Bridge system it won't have IPT so I won't be able to set it as an authorized system.

Read it again? Sounds like an OPTIONAL feature, as in, it can probably be toggled, might include whitelist feature, who knows, wait for more info before jumping to conclusions......

tacobfm said:
This is why intel doesn't play fair.

Yes, damn them for trying to increase user security!

herpaderp said:
"Sandy Bridge owners will be able to link their Steam account to a specific PC and will be notified if any unauthorized PCs attempt to gain entry. "

Princeton said:

Read it again? Sounds like an OPTIONAL feature, as in, it can probably be toggled. Wait for more info before jumping to conclusions......

Uh I didn't jump to conclusions. I was simply saying that if I do enable it I'll have an issue if my other pc doesn't use sandy bridge.

Looks like you're the one jumping to conclusions about what my comment meant.

This is a nice security measure. Many online gamers will like these feature. Well, if only i have a sandy bridge cpu. I'm still in core duo :-(.

Valve, now with Steam Guard! It's got a catchy sound.

And what's with the sinister black cat and his two haz mat clad minions taking photos at the crime scene? And the pong on the laptop? Weird. All you need is a midget speaking backwards and some plaintive music.

@princeton it says you will be NOTIFIED not locked out. Potentially it makes a list and e-mails it to you, if you notice weirdness in your log it gives you the ability to changed action, ie change your password etc.

Back