Valve encourages Microsoft to bring Game Pass to Steam

mongeese

Staff
Recap: Game Pass has changed the way Microsoft sells games for Xbox and PC. It might have borrowed market share from traditional storefronts like Steam, but Valve doesn't see it as opposition. Valve's Gabe Newell says he'd happily implement Game Pass on Steam if Microsoft were willing.

A recent interview with PC Gamer, Valve CEO Gabe Newell, began with a question about the possibility of Steam creating a Game Pass-like subscription service--a Steam Pass, perhaps. Newell said no, Valve was not interested. Newell was more open to working with Microsoft to host Game Pass on Steam.

"For their customers, it's clearly a popular option, and we'd be more than happy to work with them to get that on Steam," the Valve founder stated. When asked if a new partnership with Microsoft was already in the works, Newell cryptically added, "If your customers want it, then you should figure out how to make it happen. That’s where we’re at."

Some might say there's a bit more to it than that. Steam recently started selling some of the Microsoft Store's formerly exclusive titles like Sea of Thieves. It's also the future home of titles that belong to the Microsoft-owned Bethesda.

Subscription services, in general, are similarly appearing more regularly on Steam. EA Play, for example, joined in 2020, although its premium tier remains exclusive to EA's launcher. Valve's 30% cut of sales might have deterred EA, and it might be a sticking point for Microsoft, too. We'll see what happens.

Permalink to story.

Way too early to be thinking about that. Smart idea would be to wait and see how sales go first, which will take a while since there is a line of people waiting for their Deck. And no Windows graphics driver. And even then, will it be updated in a timely manner?

It's barely even out and people are already asking about different colors and Gabe wants Game Pass. I think Valve needs to slow down. Wait for mass production at the very least. Personally I see this as a red flag. Why would you try to rush things? Sell your Deck for what it was originally intended for first. To play Steam games. THEN start talking about 3rd party products.
They're saying specifically Steam, not Steam Deck (which would also benefit).

I think it's a maybe. MS has been making a lot of pro-consumer moves recently...

But I'd imagine that unless the data-mining/revenue potential is enough to justify it, they won't want to.

Last edited:
Valve can also release all their exclusive on MS/other Store(s).

Oh wait... that is not what Valve wants :)

Valve just wants their sweet 30% cut

I can’t see how MS would want this. Especially as they are using Xbox to reinforce Windows dominance as the PC gaming platform.

Valve have spent the last decade trying to lock its consumers into a proprietary OS of it’s own. It’s a conflict of interest for MS.

But Valve have to do something, game pass is tremendous value as a sub service and epic sells games for less money. Over the last year or two I’ve spent hardly any money on steam, I’ve spent far more on epic and on game pass, the marketplace is stagnating.

I can’t see how MS would want this. Especially as they are using Xbox to reinforce Windows dominance as the PC gaming platform.

Valve have spent the last decade trying to lock its consumers into a proprietary OS of it’s own. It’s a conflict of interest for MS.

But Valve have to do something, game pass is tremendous value as a sub service and epic sells games for less money. Over the last year or two I’ve spent hardly any money on steam, I’ve spent far more on epic and on game pass, the marketplace is stagnating.

You pretty much nailed it. They know that they are totally F-ed in a long run so they are trying to yet again use their playerbase to fight for their monopoly.

It's kind of funny how anti-epic Steam community is yet Valve is doing exactly the same thing. All games that are only on Steam are Steam exclusivity. The only reason why they are not buying it (maybe they are but it's under NDA) is because they are huge >>>>> MONOPOLY UwU

Linux or proton is owned Valve, or are you talking about Windows being propriety? SteamOS is it's own flavor of Linux, but I've been using Steam's integration of Proton on Linux mint for 5 years now.

Also, MS is doing enough already to push people away from Windows, Valve doesn't need to try very hard. All Valve needs to do is keep a version of Steam available on Linux and the open source community will continue to support Proton for Valve. Valve doesn't really participate in the development of Proton, they just integrate it.

Linux or proton is owned Valve, or are you talking about Windows being propriety? SteamOS is it's own flavor of Linux, but I've been using Steam's integration of Proton on Linux mint for 5 years now.

Also, MS is doing enough already to push people away from Windows, Valve doesn't need to try very hard. All Valve needs to do is keep a version of Steam available on Linux and the open source community will continue to support Proton for Valve. Valve doesn't really participate in the development of Proton, they just integrate it.
Steam Os may be based on Linux but currently the only launcher available is steam. So whilst both OS do allow third party software the availability of that third party software is massively diminished on Linux compared to Windows. You don’t even get DX12 on steam OS, you get Vulkan but not every game has this as an alternative.

Personally I think Valve do need to do a lot more because I’m not going to ditch windows for steam OS at this point because there is no support on steam OS for game pass, gog, blizzard, epic, uplay, even minecraft and COD Warzone won’t run on steam OS. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like Windows but running steam OS cuts you off from the gaming services I use the most. I think most people are the same, why would they switch to a platform that effectively locks them into steam only?

I don't care about gp, but I'd rather have a competition from valve in this area than having a single company taking over pc games subscription service. Anything aas is usually not good for many consumers, but monopoly is even worse

Steam Os may be based on Linux but currently the only launcher available is steam. So whilst both OS do allow third party software the availability of that third party software is massively diminished on Linux compared to Windows. You don’t even get DX12 on steam OS, you get Vulkan but not every game has this as an alternative.

Personally I think Valve do need to do a lot more because I’m not going to ditch windows for steam OS at this point because there is no support on steam OS for game pass, gog, blizzard, epic, uplay, even minecraft and COD Warzone won’t run on steam OS. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like Windows but running steam OS cuts you off from the gaming services I use the most. I think most people are the same, why would they switch to a platform that effectively locks them into steam only?
While those launchers aren't officially support many do work. DX12 does work on Linux but it requires a compatibility layer. In many games that have a native Linux version I still use the windows version with Proton just because it allows more advanced graphic features. Proton handles this without you thinking about it and the performance impact is usually less than 5%. Only problem I've run into is games where multi-player anti cheat simply won't run in Linux. That is the only reason I still a windows install on my machine.

The anti cheat absolutely could run on Linux, the fact that the anti cheat software tells you that you're running an unsupported operating system shows that it is actually running. I only play ESO and EvE these days anyway and both run great on Linux while neither is officially supported.

It's kind of funny how anti-epic Steam community is yet Valve is doing exactly the same thing. All games that are only on Steam are Steam exclusivity. The only reason why they are not buying it (maybe they are but it's under NDA) is because they are huge >>>>> MONOPOLY UwU
Nope. 100% wrong. Steam doesn't buy timed exclusives or force exclusivity in any regard. Don't BS people here. Heck, they even provide no-commission game keys to also sell somewhere else. The most I remember they do is ensure that you can't blatantly undercut their store prices on another store.

And they are as popular as they are because of a mix of no proper competition in the beginning, and pro-consumer practices (like not buying exclusives away from other stores). Hence why we in the community strongly prefer Steam.

PS. they would only be considered a monopoly because of out-competing the competition, not through anti-competitive means (unless you have an example that I missed? As being successful is not one of them lol).

While those launchers aren't officially support many do work. DX12 does work on Linux but it requires a compatibility layer. In many games that have a native Linux version I still use the windows version with Proton just because it allows more advanced graphic features. Proton handles this without you thinking about it and the performance impact is usually less than 5%. Only problem I've run into is games where multi-player anti cheat simply won't run in Linux. That is the only reason I still a windows install on my machine.

The anti cheat absolutely could run on Linux, the fact that the anti cheat software tells you that you're running an unsupported operating system shows that it is actually running. I only play ESO and EvE these days anyway and both run great on Linux while neither is officially supported.
I’m not interested in switching to steam OS or Linux. They are both worse for gamers than windows and in steams case they charge more for their games than anyone else. Sure you can get third party launchers to work but it’s more effort and nothing is guaranteed. I don’t enjoy using Linux, it just reminds me of university and the days when I worked in systems before I realised I was wasting my life in front of a computer screen.

I could be interested in gaming on Linux if they leveraged mobile hardware. Say if steam made a steam deck with a snapdragon and used a compatibility layer for it. But Linux for X86 gaming? No Thankyou. The steam deck weighs more than 1.5 iPads, needs a backpack to carry it in and lasts 2 hours on battery. Mobile hardware would have been so much better if they could leverage it. I mean even the latest Samsung ARM Exynos part has Radeon graphics. Surely some PC games can run on a modern ARM part.

The most I remember they do is ensure that you can't blatantly undercut their store prices on another store.
That’s quite a monopolistic practise. Just saying.

But I don’t think they actually do this, games are consistently cheaper on epic where I live.

That’s quite a monopolistic practise. Just saying.

But I don’t think they actually do this, games are consistently cheaper on epic where I live.
I haven't really payed attention here. But saying "don't overprice your digital product on our store" I'd say is a reasonable expectation. Which would exclude sales and whatnot.

I haven't really payed attention here. But saying "don't overprice your digital product on our store" I'd say is a reasonable expectation. Which would exclude sales and whatnot.
That’s not what you claimed. You said Valve stops publishers from selling at a lower price elsewhere.

If that’s true then it’s incredibly anti competitive of Valve. But as I said where I live steam charges more than everyone else. That makes steam overpriced in my eyes.

I’m not interested in switching to steam OS or Linux. They are both worse for gamers than windows and in steams case they charge more for their games than anyone else. Sure you can get third party launchers to work but it’s more effort and nothing is guaranteed. I don’t enjoy using Linux, it just reminds me of university and the days when I worked in systems before I realised I was wasting my life in front of a computer screen.

I could be interested in gaming on Linux if they leveraged mobile hardware. Say if steam made a steam deck with a snapdragon and used a compatibility layer for it. But Linux for X86 gaming? No Thankyou. The steam deck weighs more than 1.5 iPads, needs a backpack to carry it in and lasts 2 hours on battery. Mobile hardware would have been so much better if they could leverage it. I mean even the latest Samsung ARM Exynos part has Radeon graphics. Surely some PC games can run on a modern ARM part.
Apple has shown with their M1 chips, you can absolutely use x86 applications on arm chips with a hardware level compatibility layer. I'd say MS has forced me to Linux with the dumpster fire that is windows 10 and 11. While getting things to run on Linux does take some work basically everything you do is on a windows XP level of trouble shooting at this point. It wasn't until Windows 7 that the OS really started holding your hand through everything. Linux needs to reach windows 7 and android levels of hand holding for it to be a legitimate alternative for the masses. People have been saying Linux is only 5 years away from for the past 20 years but I think it's gotten to the point where it's highly possible within the next 10 years.

Going back to x86/ARM, I think we will start to see lots of ARM chips with hardware level x86 emulation after Apples success. The performance is there and just imagine what it could do for battery life in the laptop market. If People start pumping out 800watt GPUs it'll be nice to get 200W TDP levels of CPU performance in a 30 watt package.

Last edited:
Apple has show with their M1 chips, you can absolutely use x86 applications on arm chips with a hardware level compatibility layer. I'd say MS has forced me to Linux with the dumpster fire that is windows 10 and 11. While getting things to run on Linux does take some work basically everything you do is on a windows XP level of trouble shooting at this point. It wasn't until Windows 7 that the OS really started holding your hand threw everything. Linux needs to reach windows 7 and android levels of hand holding for it to be a legitimate alternative for the masses. People have been saying Linux is only 5 years away from for the past 20 years but I think it's gotten to the point where it's highly possible within the next 10 years.

Going back to x86/ARM, I think we will start to see lots of ARM chips with hardware level x86 emulation after Apples success. The performance is there and just imagine what it could do for battery life in the laptop market. If People start pumping out 800watt GPUs it'll be nice to get 200W TDP levels of CPU performance in a 30 watt package.
Well windows is going to ARM, they are developing their own chips. As is Google for their surface line. Games are going to have to get updated to work on ARM at somepoint or another. I think there’s a lot of money available for the first company to push it. Steam could have taken that chance with the deck but nope, they chose chunky with big battery instead. So now it’s likely to be MS with windows. Or maybe even iOS, currently most games on iOS are just mobile only games. But if a developer decided to list a conversion of a big franchise AAA game it could attract users, especially as an iPad is a lot cheaper than a gaming PC. They did it with Civ 6 and I prefer sitting on the sofa with my iPad and an Apple pencil to play that game than to sit at my desk with a gaming PC.

Windows is a dumpster fire but that dumpster fire gives more gaming warmth than linux does. If at any point more availability or cheaper games or both comes to linux then I’d ditch windows in a heartbeat. Most people are not operating system loyalists.

That’s not what you claimed. You said Valve stops publishers from selling at a lower price elsewhere.

If that’s true then it’s incredibly anti competitive of Valve. But as I said where I live steam charges more than everyone else. That makes steam overpriced in my eyes.
No, I said "The most I remember they do is ensure that you can't blatantly undercut their store prices on another store". The "blatantly" implying that you can't just put up a game at $80 on Steam, and $60 on Epic. And then I further clarified that it wouldn't apply to sales.

It might not have been the most clear, but I did not imply that they stop you from selling at any lower price point. And it sounds like might not actually have that practice (by your example).

PS. if it's more expensive on Steam, that sounds like it's on the publisher, not Steam.

Well windows is going to ARM, they are developing their own chips. As is Google for their surface line. Games are going to have to get updated to work on ARM at somepoint or another. I think there’s a lot of money available for the first company to push it. Steam could have taken that chance with the deck but nope, they chose chunky with big battery instead. So now it’s likely to be MS with windows. Or maybe even iOS, currently most games on iOS are just mobile only games. But if a developer decided to list a conversion of a big franchise AAA game it could attract users, especially as an iPad is a lot cheaper than a gaming PC. They did it with Civ 6 and I prefer sitting on the sofa with my iPad and an Apple pencil to play that game than to sit at my desk with a gaming PC.

Windows is a dumpster fire but that dumpster fire gives more gaming warmth than linux does. If at any point more availability or cheaper games or both comes to linux then I’d ditch windows in a heartbeat. Most people are not operating system loyalists.
You might be a good candidate for Linux Mint if you have an extra SSD laying around. It's short comings are immediately obvious coming from Windows and can be worked around but that's not what I'm getting it. Daily drive it for a few days and try some games on it, I think you'll be surprised. You can screw up your MBR if you don't install it carefully so if you do decide to play around with it and not dual boot then just disconnect your Windows drive. The fix is easy if you screw up but why bother if you don't have to, know what I mean?

I'm interested you brought up Civ, it lends itself really well to being played on tablets and mobile. I know if I have a long flight, layover or I'm just bored in a hotel room I often play Civ5 on my tablet. I recently bought Civ6 and wasn't aware it was available on mobile although I haven't given it any thought either. I don't like graphics style of 6 but the gameplay mechanics are far superior to 5 so I can easily look over that.

I don't care about gp, but I'd rather have a competition from valve in this area than having a single company taking over pc games subscription service. Anything aas is usually not good for many consumers, but monopoly is even worse
Gabe said he isn't interested in creating a service. Hence why he maybe looking at Game Pass. MS isn't taking anything over. It's not their fault their competitors don't offer a better service.

in steams case they charge more for their games than anyone else.
This is on the publishers, not Steam, unless you're in one of the unlucky places that have no regional pricing and just uses Euro or US dollar, in this case it's Steam job to add those regions. The Publisher have full control of the pricing they set for each region, and while steam have recommended regional prices, most Publishers ignore the recommended prices and increase them significantly. You can often see on SteamDB that regions that are supposed to have cheaper prices, like Brazil, Argentina, Russia and others, will have US/EU level pricing, which is often anywhere between 2x to 4x the Valve's recommended price. Some publishers follow the recommended prices better than others, and sometimes the same publisher will wildly change pricing from one title to the next in some regions, like for example Koei Tecmo's Atelier Ryza 2(26 January 2021) was released for ARS$ 2499,00(USD 23.25)(Argentina), R$ 299,90(USD 58.07)(Brazil), $59.99(US), while Atelier Sophie 2(25 February 2022) was released for ARS$ 2499,00(USD 23.25)(Argentina), R$ 109,99(USD 21.29)(Brazil), $59.99(US).

Last edited:
Also, MS is doing enough already to push people away from Windows
Main part of MS revenue is from companies who are using Windows+Office and their servers. Also even creator of Linux said that Linux will be much bigger in 10 years and that video is from like what? 2009-10? Keep dreaming pals.

The truth is which from the looks of it really hurts Linux user's brains that Windows is just too simple to use and there is no reason to go to something that is as complex as Linux :)

Main part of MS revenue is from companies who are using Windows+Office and their servers. Also even creator of Linux said that Linux will be much bigger in 10 years and that video is from like what? 2009-10? Keep dreaming pals.

The truth is which from the looks of it really hurts Linux user's brains that Windows is just too simple to use and there is no reason to go to something that is as complex as Linux :)
Office is cloud based now and you can run everything from a browser. I also don't think you realize that Linux is HUGE now, just not on the desktop space. The PS5 and Switch run on a custom Linux kernals as well as basically every TV and smartphone. The only play that Linux doesn't dominate is in the Desktop space and that's starting to change with MS pissing everyone off with Windows 11.

Go download Linux mint and use it for a week, if you have to use the command line once I'll buy you a game on steam.

Please no, gamepass on pc linked to ea play already barely works.

accessing gamepass through steam to play an ea game or other brand game sounds like it would be a nightmare. just typing the idea was tiring.

gamepass is a great imo.......on console, I dropped my pc version because it was such a pain to use, just outright buying a game still beats all of these janky sub services they keep pushing.

Office is cloud based now and you can run everything from a browser. I also don't think you realize that Linux is HUGE now, just not on the desktop space. The PS5 and Switch run on a custom Linux kernals as well as basically every TV and smartphone. The only play that Linux doesn't dominate is in the Desktop space and that's starting to change with MS pissing everyone off with Windows 11.

Go download Linux mint and use it for a week, if you have to use the command line once I'll buy you a game on steam.
Dude we were talking about desktop of course I know that Linux is big and that Android etc. are based on it... My whole point was Desktop & Windows.

Also I prefer command lines on Linux :) And yeah I know that there are builds which are like Windows but the issue is that most companies are just too used to Windows.

Back