Valve reveals the dates of Steam's Autumn and Winter sales

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Do you simply not have enough unplayed games sitting on your drives? Good news: Valve has published the dates of its two massive sales this season, and the first one is less than a month away.

Steam sale dates tend to be leaked from other sources—PayPal UK was often first to publish them—but this time Valve itself that has revealed them on Steamworks (via PCGamer).

The first event is one that’s already been confirmed: the Steam Halloween sale. It will take place between October 28 and November 1. Valve writes that it will have a special focus on content updates and in-game events in celebration of the theme, so expect plenty of discounts on spooky titles such as Resident Evil Village and the rest of the Resi series, Darkest Dungeon, and the Dark Pictures trilogy.

Don’t spend too much money during Halloween, though, as the Autumn sale starts just over three weeks later. The big discount event takes place between November 24 and November 30, during which time the Steam Awards nominations will begin.

Following the Autumn Sale is what tends to be Valve’s largest event of the year. The Steam Winter sale kicks off on December 22 and runs for two weeks until January 5. People will be able to vote for the Steam Awards winners during this period, too.

For those who can’t wait to get their hands on some discounted titles, the Epic Games Store’s Halloween sale event has already begun, offering up to 75% savings. One of the highlights is The Medium, one of our Most Watchable Games for Non-Gamers, down from $49.99 to $37.49.

Permalink to story.

I'm always puzzled by people who pay for PC games... well, I suppose they're the same people who pay for music...

I'm always puzzled by people who pay for PC games... well, I suppose they're the same people who pay for music...

If you want more of something you need to vote with your wallet, particularly if they are a small developer/artist.

There are however many AAA game companies like the big record/movie outfits that are worthy of boycotts due to their bad behavior.

If you don't buy stuff, they won't produce stuff you like, it's that simple.

This is why sci-fi often is downplayed, very few buy or watch in cinema, because most pirate (geeks like sci-fi)

Just an example, there's many like it

So wave goodbye to stuff you like if you never buy any of it

Just think back 10 years ago to what steam used to be like. Portal 2 released, Valve still actually made games. The steam sale was a genuine opportunity to get some big name games at much lower prices than you would expect. We all anticipated the sale and dreaded what it would do to our bank accounts! But fast forward to now, Valve dont make PC games anymore, their store hasnt really changed and the sales have become much worse. Many games have left the platform to be sold on things like Uplay and Origin etc.Competitors offer cheaper prices or cheap subscription services whilst Steam continues to sell the same old.

The platform really is stagnating, Valve need to come out with a subscription service. They need to compete on price with places like Epic and Xbox. And on top of that they need to be making games again.

But instead we are getting some jumbo nintendo switch for $500 that has a 720p LCD that targets 30fps and locks you into steam.

...and I'm always equally puzzled by people who do not pay for PC games (they play). Unless you are referring to free-to-play titles of course, in which case I have no objection whatsoever :)

How dare I want to be sure that the indie developers and underground (and DIY) bands that I like be able to live with the bonus of making more content I'll most likely enjoy

I'm assuming based on this childish point of view of yours that you work exclusively for free then. How's that going for you?

How dare I want to be sure that the indie developers and underground (and DIY) bands that I like be able to live with the bonus of making more content I'll most likely enjoy

I'm assuming based on this childish point of view of yours that you work exclusively for free then. How's that going for you?
Lol... I suppose you failed to see the irony in my post... fair enough... no, I don't work for free... maybe try and open your mind a bit...

If you don't buy stuff, they won't produce stuff you like, it's that simple.

This is why sci-fi often is downplayed, very few buy or watch in cinema, because most pirate (geeks like sci-fi)

Just an example, there's many like it

So wave goodbye to stuff you like if you never buy any of it
You realize that Sci-Fi/Fantasy is probably the most profitable genre in the entire entertainment industry... Superhero films, disaster films, etc have made billions of dollars in movies and TV... Ever heard of the Marvel franchise? DC Universe?

How about Game of Thrones? Probably the #1 most torrented show in history - yet still one of the most profitable...

Got any more inane arguments you'd like to add?

Just think back 10 years ago to what steam used to be like. Portal 2 released, Valve still actually made games. The steam sale was a genuine opportunity to get some big name games at much lower prices than you would expect. We all anticipated the sale and dreaded what it would do to our bank accounts! But fast forward to now, Valve dont make PC games anymore, their store hasnt really changed and the sales have become much worse. Many games have left the platform to be sold on things like Uplay and Origin etc.Competitors offer cheaper prices or cheap subscription services whilst Steam continues to sell the same old.

The platform really is stagnating, Valve need to come out with a subscription service. They need to compete on price with places like Epic and Xbox. And on top of that they need to be making games again.

But instead we are getting some jumbo nintendo switch for $500 that has a 720p LCD that targets 30fps and locks you into steam.

I've disagreed with some of your posts before on various topics, but on this one we fully agree.

I can't remember the last time I cared about a Steam "sale". They used to be EVENTS to be excited about. But now...they're mostly MEH with prices often matched or even beaten by PSN & XBL sales (which if you think about it is pretty pathetic). After building a Steam library up to almost 700 games, I've mostly stopped buying PC games entirely the past few years and Steam sales going to **** are a big reason why.

The fact that Valve no longer makes games is just the cherry on top, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: one point of disagreement just for shits n giggles...I'm actually excited about Steam Deck for some bizarre reason, despite all of the above. I just love shiny new gaming hardware that much and can't wait to tinker with it I suppose.

Edit: one point of disagreement just for shits n giggles...I'm actually excited about Steam Deck for some bizarre reason, despite all of the above. I just love shiny new gaming hardware that much and can't wait to tinker with it I suppose.
The steam deck will be exactly what it promises to be. Most of your steam library at 720p 30fps on an LCD screen. 2 hour battery life and the weight of 1.5 iPads.

If your expectations do not exceed this then you will be very happy with it.

You realize that Sci-Fi/Fantasy is probably the most profitable genre in the entire entertainment industry... Superhero films, disaster films, etc have made billions of dollars in movies and TV... Ever heard of the Marvel franchise? DC Universe?

How about Game of Thrones? Probably the #1 most torrented show in history - yet still one of the most profitable...

Got any more inane arguments you'd like to add?

I am talking about serious sci-fi not superhero fantasy sci-fi.

Compare Interstellar box office vs budget to fast and furious and you will see what I mean... There's way more money in generic action movies like that because most people that are interested in true sci-fi, just torrent the movie instead.

I am talking about serious sci-fi not superhero fantasy sci-fi.

Compare Interstellar box office vs budget to fast and furious and you will see what I mean... There's way more money in generic action movies like that because most people that are interested in true sci-fi, just torrent the movie instead.
Please provide some evidence that "serious" sci-fi is affected more by piracy than any other genre... most independent studies show that piracy has virtually ZERO effect on sales of almost everything... in fact, it often increases sales as people get exposed to something they never knew existed...

The steam deck will be exactly what it promises to be. Most of your steam library at 720p 30fps on an LCD screen. 2 hour battery life and the weight of 1.5 iPads.

If your expectations do not exceed this then you will be very happy with it.
Yup pretty much. No disagreement on this point. However, APU tech is limited to some large degree by the given lithography. I suspect we won’t get anything close to what most of us hope for out of a handheld until we hit at least 3nm, which is a ways off. Even 5nm will offer some much needed thermal headroom but I suspect we’ll be “stuck” at 1080p even at that point.

For my purposes - for now - this little guy will be really fun to tinker around with, dual boot with Win10/11, play around with it as a dockable PC, and primarily use it as an emulation machine. I think for that purpose it’ll likely far exceed 2 hour battery life but we shall see. I don’t see myself playing AAA games on this other than as a test bed to run benchmarks for fun and do visual comparisons to my other setups. If I want to play the the big titles I’ve got a fire breathing small form factor HTPC set up on the big screen and Series X for that. So I seriously don’t GAF about the battery life with the more demanding games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yup pretty much. No disagreement on this point. However, APU tech is limited to some large degree by the given lithography. I suspect we won’t get anything close to what most of us hope for out of a handheld until we hit at least 3nm, which is a ways off. Even 5nm will offer some much needed thermal headroom but I suspect we’ll be “stuck” at 1080p even at that point.

For my purposes - for now - this little guy will be really fun to tinker around with, dual boot with Win10/11, play around with it as a dockable PC, and primarily use it as an emulation machine. I think for that purpose it’ll likely far exceed 2 hour battery life but we shall see. I don’t see myself playing AAA games on this other than as a test bed to run benchmarks for fun and do visual comparisons to my other setups. If I want to play the the big titles I’ve got a fire breathing small form factor HTPC set up on the big screen and Series X for that. So I seriously don’t GAF about the battery life with the more demanding games. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think the steam deck will be fine as a handheld PC. We already have those, they are very nice, they don’t sell in the millions but seem to sell enough to remain relevant. Personally I’d go for one of the existing brands of handheld PC over the deck as they come with windows and are designed to support it. But I’m not buying either. I also find it bizarre that so many people ordered without seeing the thing. Handhelds are all about the screen, if it’s a bad screen it’s a bad handheld and I wouldn’t take a £400-£500 risk without verifying that the screen is at least an improvement over the 720p switch LCD for example.

I would like to see a company pushing PC gaming to ARM. With mobile silicon we could get much better performance in smaller form factors than we do with X86 APUs today. It would require games to be re-coded and you’d be unlikely to get you’re entire library. But at least it would be a true portable. The idea of lugging a 600g steam deck about just to play the odd game is bizarre if you ask me. It weighs more than my iPad and my switch lite put together.

I think the steam deck will be fine as a handheld PC. We already have those, they are very nice, they don’t sell in the millions but seem to sell enough to remain relevant. Personally I’d go for one of the existing brands of handheld PC over the deck as they come with windows and are designed to support it. But I’m not buying either. I also find it bizarre that so many people ordered without seeing the thing. Handhelds are all about the screen, if it’s a bad screen it’s a bad handheld and I wouldn’t take a £400-£500 risk without verifying that the screen is at least an improvement over the 720p switch LCD for example.

I would like to see a company pushing PC gaming to ARM. With mobile silicon we could get much better performance in smaller form factors than we do with X86 APUs today. It would require games to be re-coded and you’d be unlikely to get you’re entire library. But at least it would be a true portable. The idea of lugging a 600g steam deck about just to play the odd game is bizarre if you ask me. It weighs more than my iPad and my switch lite put together.
Pretty sure the Surface Pro would work nicely then... of course, they pretty costly...

Pretty sure the Surface Pro would work nicely then... of course, they pretty costly...
The surface pro is better value though. This is it with the deck, for about £100 - £200 more you get a whole entry level gaming laptop with a 144hz 1080p screen, dedicated GPU, Windows, full keyboard, trackpad, webcam etc.

Back