Vcard causing HDD squeaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowingnissan07

Windows XP SP2
1 GB RAM
Pentium 4 at 2.8 GHz
2 Hard disks, a POS Maxtor i dont use anymore, and a WB 300GB.

in Device Manager, my graphics card is listed twice even tho i only have one.

RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary
RADEON 9800 SERIES

my Maxtor had been known to cause my PC problems, hence why i upgraded to a WB. Squeaking followed by crashing was prevelant during 3D Gaming, but it was still inconsistent. Unfortunately I have to keep my Maxtor plugged into my Motherboard in order to boot from my WB, even tho its on master and the maxtor is on slave. i dont why that happens, im still figuring that one out.

which leads me to believe the crappy Maxtor is also the source of the squeaking taking place now EVEN THO IVE DISABLED IT THRU DEVICE MANAGER.

disabling seemed to solve the crashing, but occasionaly and inconsistenty i head squeaking and HDD activity, even on parts in 3D games where little activity is taking place or there isnt a lot to render. the squeaking rarely affects game performace, and always goes away when the game is shut down.

I've proved the connection between the two (if its even my old HDD at all) by running the 3D preview of the spinning furry cube in Atitools, causing the squeaking to become annoyingly prevelant. it instantly stopped when i closed the 3d preview. It didnt affect it much and AtiTools didnt detect any errors. caused some lag however.

Its so annoying. I've been dealing with it because lately ive been enable to play without fear of a full system crash, but still, its plagues my ears to hear it everytime i play some high quality games!

Theory 1: My old HDD is somehow interfering or some program on it is running and is activated when my video card is in use.

Theory 2: I downgraded my LCD monitor for a really old monstrous huge one for the sake of a ridiculously high resolution. I hope its not causing power issues.

Suggestions welcome

I

First REMOVE the old Maxtor completely from the computer. WB? Do you mean WD, Western Digital?

problem solved

yes i did mean WD. and wow im retarded, its definately not a maxtor, but is a SeaGate.

it was wierd, cuz before i tried removing the SeaGate power and IDE cables, but the PC wouldnt just boot off the WD, it wouldnt even past the first screen, the SONY screen (my PC is a Vaio). And if i switched it, id get an improper boot device error. the only way to get to windows was to use both.

Now i know why. I put the jumper on the WD as Master w/ Slave, so i could use the SeaGAte to transfer old files easier. I removed the jumper, so now its set to just Single Master, and i left the SeaGate unplugged and now it actually booted. :)

No more squeaking from the 3D preview on AtiTools, so thanks sooo much!

I still never knew why it squeaked in the first place, i mean it WAS DISABLED FROM DEVICE MANAGER. but then again Windows is known to be half-assed anyway with pretty much every one of its programs. idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back