Verizon launches budget-minded $35 prepaid plan with 500 minutes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Verizon recently launched a new prepaid plan designed to offer significant savings for those not interested in a smartphone. The no-contract plan includes 500 anytime talk minutes in addition to unlimited text and Internet usage for just $35 per month – a solid value for someone that doesn’t spend a lot of time on their mobile device but would still like to keep it around for the occasional call or emergency.

As of writing, Verizon is offering four feature phones to use with the new plan: the LG Cosmos 2, the LG Extravert, the Samsung Gusto 2 and the Samsung Intensity 3. Each of these handsets can be had at a deep discount when activating as part of the new plan. Furthermore, a Verizon spokesperson said customers that already own select basic feature phones may be able to use those with the $35 plan as well.

There are a few stipulations to be aware of before you sign up, however. The plan doesn’t waive mobile-to-mobile calls which means if you call another Verizon customers, it’ll count against your total monthly minutes bundle. It’s also worth pointing out that users will be charged $0.25 per minute over the allotted 500 minute bundle.

In the event that 500 minutes per month simply isn’t enough, you may want to look into another recently announced prepaid plan from Verizon that offers unlimited talk, text and data for $50 per month. Alternately, regional carriers like RadioShack offer plans starting at $25 which include 300 monthly minutes.

Permalink to story.

LOL...$35 a month?? Guess how much I pay a month for my pay-as-you-go TracPhone? $8 a month.

LOL...$35 a month?? Guess how much I pay a month for my pay-as-you-go TracPhone? $8 a month.

Guess how much coverage TracPhones get where I live. None. Verizon and At&t are the only two providers that give service that I can use inside my own home. For sprint you have to walk to the end of my driveway.

Guess how much coverage TracPhones get where I live. None. Verizon and At&t are the only two providers that give service that I can use inside my own home. For sprint you have to walk to the end of my driveway.
When I had a tracphone I got pretty good service. With virgin mobile most of the time I have to walk outside my house to hear people clearly. But I really value my smart phone. If only I could get better talking service... 35$ a month

Might be something wrong with your device. Tracphones work on any US carrier although you'll only get 3G on the network its really designed for (some are GSM, some are CDMA). I don't know of a single Tracphone with a Sprint 3G chip.

Im currently on virgin mobiles prepaid beyond talk plan for 35 a month with 300 minutes and unlimited everyone else. my service is fine around here and I don't use all of my minutes as it is and my phone is alot nicer than the ones verizon is listing here so I have no need to switch yet. at&t just had a limited time offer for unlimited everything prepaid for 40 a month. phones sucked tho

Back