Verizon's new Internet technology is 10x faster than Google Fiber

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you think Google Fiber is fast, wait until you get a load of what Verizon is working on. The broadband and telecommunications company recently completed testing of a new technology that could provide businesses and consumers with Internet speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second – 10 times as fast as Google’s existing offering.

The new technology, known in the industry as a next-generation passive optical network, was extensively tested in Verizon’s labs in Waltham, Massachusetts. Outside of the lab, the company conducted field testing from Verizon’s central office in Framingham, Massachusetts, to a FiOS customer’s home roughly three miles away.

In addition to sheer speed, the technology is also quite reliable. Verizon said it simulated a fault in the central office equipment to test reliability. The customer’s ONT autonomously tuned to another wavelength, effectively restoring the 10Gbps connection within seconds.

The technology has the potential to push speeds up to 80Gbps, says Lee Hicks, vice president of network technology at Verizon. Scaling up to meet demand is a simple matter of adding new colors of light onto the existing fiber with each new color tacking on an additional 10Gbps of bandwidth, he added.

Verizon said it initially expects to attract business customers although that’ll change over time as the adoption of 4K streaming video picks up. The Internet of Things will also drive the need for higher-speed connections as more than 25 billion Internet-connected devices are expected in the wild by 2020.

Permalink to story.

10 Gbps doesn't sound too shabby at all. I wonder if I'll notice the difference in speed as opposed to my 56 Kbps dial up. ;) :D

Hmm so many questions are they going to throw in the $400 10Gbps nic to the consumer for free?

To sustain the full write speed on a 10Gbps connection you will need two SATA III drive in Raid 0 or a PCIe nvme drive.

Any data caps?

Modem rental cost?

installation cost?

Sounds great for medium and large businesses, crazy techies, and households that stream a dozens of 4k streams at the same time.

I could definitely find a way to use it lol.

Most hard drives write at less than 125MBps (~1Gbps) except high performance SSDs and most network cards, wireless and wired operate at less than 1Gbps. Chances are that most people would not notice any difference between a 1Gbps and a 10Gbps connection unless you have 10+ people using the full bandwidth of their physically wired computers at the same time and they are all sitting there staring at each other waiting...

10Gbps can handle ~400 4k Netflix streams at the same time. We interlink physical switches at 10gbps...lol tiz crazy mahn.

10 Gbps doesn't sound too shabby at all. I wonder if I'll notice the difference in speed as opposed to my 56 Kbps dial up. ;) :D

Wow, you still have functional dial-up? Where I live modems don't even work any more because the lines haven't been maintained for 20 yrs. But hey, that's how the government wants it, otherwise they wouldn't keep subsidizing Verizon and AT&T's endless urban broadband expansion while disenfranchising 20% of the population. After all, anyone who doesn't live in a city of at least 500,000 is probably a red state baboon who needs to be marginalized as much as possible.

Great IF you can get it; however, I would not in the least be surprised if Verizon charges up the you know what for it.

As far as the IOT comment goes, the way I see things is that IOT manufacturers have a long, long, long way to go before I will buy an IOT device.

And unless you are running multiple 4K streams at the same time in your home, you will only need 25Mbps - at least according to Netflix, so to the knowledgeable, 10Gbps fiber may be significant overkill cost and speed wise.

Much like other complaints above this service will only be for about 2% of the Unites States. It's great that development of this new technology is being done but if these services are not provided to customers to utilize what is the point? You should stop trying to advertise that you have the latest and greatest and begin taking care of the people who pay for the services. If you develop a new technology that improves the quality of services you can provide immediately begin implementing that technology to the masses instead of upgrading a couple areas where your CEO and share holders reside.

I see none other than erecting mobile towers as futility. Remember all the spectrum had in the cable channels fourteen thru one hundred, at least. There isn't anything being broadcast on those channels. Try attaching an antenna to you tv and tuning them in. Just some kind of telephone company conspiracy.

Still waiting for FiOS to be run down my street after 3.. 4.. 5 years now?

It's around the corner, but not at my street, because hey, they don't want customers.

Though considering their business practices, maybe it's best that it isn't here; but that leaves me stuck on cable with RF issues, saturation issues and higher latency. Not good either way.

Yeah; it'll cost a lot more than I'm willing to pay, even though many videos that I watch take three times as long to buffer than the length of the video (strange, though, how YouTube videos play with no buffering). The price will come down some day, when the competition increases, but I expect to have to wait 10 years for that.

Back