Version 22 of Chrome delivers more secure Flash support in Windows

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has released version 22 of their popular Chrome web browser and while it doesn’t come with a huge list of changes, there are a couple of features to get excited about if you are concerned with security. Google has infused Chrome with the fully hardware-accelerated Pepper Flash plug-in for Windows users, resulting in what has been described as unrivalled protection against malicious Flash apps found lurking on the Internet.

Chrome has had its fair share of vulnerabilities over the past few years but as Geek points out, its sandbox has been pretty tough to get around – and that’s exactly where Google is housing the Flash plug-in for safe keepings. The company claims that Flash-related crashes have been reduced by about 20 percent thanks to the change.

Of course, if you’re using the Linux version of Chrome, you’re already familiar with this new feature as it was added in version 20 a couple of months ago. It may seem unusual that Linux users received the new PPAPI plug-in ahead of Windows users but it actually makes sense seeing as Adobe decided to stop developing a Flash plug-in for Linux some time ago.

Chrome is built on top of Linux so if there were no Flash support for Linux, then eventually there wouldn’t be any Flash support for Chrome. And unlike Apple, Google is well aware that there are still many sites that utilize Flash content.

Chrome Mac users should be receiving a similar update in the near future.

Permalink to story.

Gotta love Chrome.

Exactly this day, but a year ago, I would never even come close to Chrome. Now it's nothing but love.

Although I still have the Fox around.

Every release of firefox we get people bitching about their rapid updates and threats to switch to chrome if they don't stop.

Chrome is on version 22.....

If you followed computers, games or software in general you'd know that every update doesn't correspond to a whole number.

Every release of firefox we get people bitching about their rapid updates and threats to switch to chrome if they don't stop.

Chrome is on version 22.....

I never cared about the updates. Firefox has just slowed down recently compared to chrome. Maybe it sped up by now or maybe it hasn't. All I care about is chrome is fast, has loads of add ons, and syncs well with everything. I dont have any reason to switch from it.

Every major browser has those exact qualities. I don't believe the browser wars have started again. Pick your poison and enjoy.

I would be a happy Chrome user if they released a x64 windows version. For that exact reason, I love Waterfox, and its great plugins. It could be lightweight like Chrome, but hey, I have these 8gigs of RAM and they do the job fine.

^and if Waterfox was put up against Chrome in a hacking contest like, say, Pwn2Own, who do you think would win? Chrome may be 32-bit, but it does have the sandbox and separate process for each tab to avoid complete browser crashes. Plus it's Chrome and it performs like a champ day after day.

^and if Waterfox was put up against Chrome in a hacking contest like, say, Pwn2Own, who do you think would win? Chrome may be 32-bit, but it does have the sandbox and separate process for each tab to avoid complete browser crashes. Plus it's Chrome and it performs like a champ day after day.

You must have a very crappy computer, because I have neither crashes or any problems with any browser. (Waterfox also has a separate plugin process that avoids crashes). And security-wise I have no complaints at all... No fanboysm here, I like Opera as well (as it also has 64bit support). Soon M$ will ditch 32bit for good, so, google'd better keep it up...

Back