Video: first footage of Minecraft Pocket Edition

Emil

Staff

The immensely popular PC sandbox game Minecraft is getting a Pocket Edition, and there's even a video to prove it. The port will be arriving on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play first, before it shows up for other Android devices and iOS devices.

Mojang Studios likely picked the Xperia Play because it has dedicated gaming buttons. The price of the app is still unknown, nor do we have a release date or specific exclusivity period for the Xperia Play, but we do know this is real, courtesy of the official Minecraft YouTube channel:

In portrait mode, the Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) device is your typical smartphone with a 5MP camera, a 4" capacitive multitouch screen (480 x 854 resolution), and social networking features. In landscape mode, the slide out keyboard reveals a digital D pad, two analogue touch pads, two shoulder buttons, and the four PlayStation icons (circle, cross, square, and triangle). The device is powered by a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, an Adreno 205 GPU, 512MB of RAM, and comes in either black or white. It has 400MB of internal storage space, which is expandable up to 32GB via the microSD slot (an 8GB memory card is included).

Minecraft will finally leave beta status on November 11, 2011. When it finally ships, it will be available for €20.00 ($28.87); right now it's still in beta and goes for €14.95 ($21.58).

Minecraft was originally released (now referred to as the classic version) on May 17, 2009. It entered Indev status on December 23, 2009, Infdev status on February 27, 2010, alpha status on June 28, 2010, and finally beta status on December 20, 2010. When Minecraft leaves beta status on November 11, 2011, it will be available for €20.00 (about $29.00); right now the beta goes for €14.95 (about $22.00). Release dates for Android and iOS versions are to be announced this year.

Permalink to story.

I'm a huge fan of Minecraft, but I can't imagine a need to play on a mobile device, no less a garbage sony phone.

I might try it out once it rolls out for general Android use but unless it's as fully featured as the PC version, I doubt it will be more than just a novelty.

A DS/3DS version would make more sense since you could use the pen to move objects into the bar... How on this or any other device would you move items, like swords, or picks to the action bar? it would have to be touchscreen.

xclusiveitalian said:
A DS/3DS version would make more sense since you could use the pen to move objects into the bar... How on this or any other device would you move items, like swords, or picks to the action bar? it would have to be touchscreen.
think about it for 2 seconds and maybe you will see.
i can think of two methods right off the bat.

xclusiveitalian said:
think about it for 2 seconds and maybe you will see.
i can think of two methods right off the bat.

Back