Inactive Virus detected by AVG upon opening Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turn on my PC this morning and it booted fine and was working as it was last night, open Chrome and it loads fine, after a couple of minutes of using it I'm told I have a :

Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic13.YYE

Located in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\chrome_21288\source\Chrome-bin\chrome.exe

I just saw it as a normal virus and disregarded it and chose the Heal option. Chrome proceeded to uninstall (or it seemed to have) from my computer.

I couldn't install Chrome again as this same virus warning appeared after it downloaded and began to install.

I System Restored to 3 days ago and it was working fine for a while then again this warning came up. On my open tabs I had a few Wikipedia articles, youtube tabs, a manga site I'd been reading from for a month or two, hotmail and Facebook, nothing out the ordinary.

Ignoring the warning allowed me to use Chrome for a bit longer before the same message appeared, moving it to the Virus Vault gave the same result as healing it.

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Solution

I looked around and the answer seems to be either revert your AVG 8.5 to a previous virus definition by going to:

Tools>Advance Settings>Updates>Manage then pressing the revert to previous version button.

That didn't work for me so I downloaded the AVG 2011 free anti-virus scan and that worked great.

Hope this can help some other people, seems it only affected people from today.

Unfortunately, one of AVG issues is producing a lot of false positives.

I'm glad to see, you resolved the issue :)

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back