Virus Messed up Ability to open pictures with MS-Picture fax viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

my cousin got a few viruses on his XP Pro PC, I instal ZoneAlarms Internet security Suite and scan his PC a few times to get rid of all of the virus.. it did a pretty good job.. but now the only problem is, is that i think it messed whit some extension types and how they should be opened with what programs.. because when we try to open a .jpg files nothing happens and when you right click and choose open with "MS-Picture fax viewer" still nothing happens..

I've read & heard about viruses-Trojans that change yer registry so that when you try to open a certain file type it winds up re-executing the virus-Trojan again and re-installing it..

So im pretty sure that all the viruses-Trojans are gone off his PC, its just now that we need to figure out how to get his pictures working like they used to...
Is there any specific registry keys that i should look for to see if they have been altered or what not to not allow picture files to be opened with "MS-Picture fax viewer"

Thanks in advance for anyones help on this..

Try Spybot S&D. In many instances the program will fix registry issues caused by malicious programs. I am not very knowledgeable about windows registry so that is the best advice that i can give you regarding that. Another thing you can try to do is Re-associate the files with windows picture and fax viewer. This is how you do it.

Open Start menu
Click on My computer
When the My computer window opens
Click the tools button on the menu bar
then click folder options on the drop down menu
When the folder options window opens click the tab that says file Types
From there you can associate any image file you want to win pic & fax viewer.
Just scroll until you see the the image extention Such as; jpg, Gif,Png or Bmp
Clicking on the extention should show you what program opens the files.
you can change this by selecting the change button then selecting or searching for the program executable.

This method is a lot easier and safer, as you will not have to navigate the windows registry this utility does it for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back