Virus or something

Nicki

Fat fingered husband used computer. Hit wrong key (or multiple keys simultaneously) and laptop has been acting weird ever since. Could potentially be a Virus or malware... Not sure where to start.

Hi Could you give us a little more information? What make and Model. What OS? What do you mean been acting weird?
Do you know how to restore to a different time?Sense I don't know your computer skills here's a link.
https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-system-restore-2626022

Window 10. Old Dell Laptop Inspiron15 3531. Things are loading very slowly or won't load at all. Documents won't print - meaning I sent it to the printer and paper comes out but there is no ink. I send the same document to a different printer and same thing. I send the same document from a different computer to the same two printers and it prints fine. Have not done a backup in a while...my bad :(

I have run Norton, JRT, TFC, CCleaner ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes. Nothing came up except some cookies.

I have been through the Virus Protocol on this site a couple of times before with Broni. I think this computer is prone to virus/malware sorts of issues as it is a shared computer - up to 4 people use it - and I cannot monitor everyone all the time.

This last incident was my husband reaching for the ESC button but hit the ON/OFF instead and perhaps a few other buttons at the same time. It has not been the same since. I managed to get it turned back on and then ran all the scans I mentioned above. It seemed slower but otherwise okay then the printing stuff started happening.

Hi! IMHO A repair in place is like reinstalling W10 over the top. You shouldn't lose any thing except some Windows updates. I have used it a couple of times with good results. If all else fails, there's always a reset or a clean install. I love a clean install every so often, but it's a lot of work LOL.
Let us know how things go.

Back