Virus Removal - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

Hi,

I wanted to follow the 8-step Virus Removal on my partner's PC because it is getting worse and worse, crashing when we go on Internet sites. I went on to your site to download the respective programmes but it won't let me do this and crashes as soon as I try to download one of them.

What can I do? It appears to be the advertisements on your site that are causing the PC to crash.

I am on my laptop at the moment, which is Windows Vista, but his PC is Windows XP.

Compused

Download this on the laptop and transfer it to his PC to run it,

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

• As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

• Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

[CENTER]
RC1.png
[/CENTER]

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

RC2-1.png

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt log in your next reply.

I keep on getting a message that "it cannot rename the file ComboFix.exe1 and to please rename with another name".

Also, it wants to install Microsoft Windows recovery on my laptop and won't respond whether I say Yes or No.

And ... how to I transfer ComboFix to my partner's computer as they are not linked and I don't want to get its viruses?

Initially, I had not read your message properly and so I installed ComboFix on my partner's PC and then tried to run it. It bleeped at me saying my virus protection is still on and to please disable it, but the option to disable the antivirus programme Avira has been ghosted, so you cannot disable it. Is there another way of disabling Avira?

I have it to update around 8.00 p.m. every evening, when my partner's not using his PC. However, even though it has scanned up to date and has been updated to yesterday's date, it has a warning sign around the update option. So I tried to update Avira there and then but got the window "Microsoft Windows has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." Come to think of it - it might be that the virus has interferred with the date, which has happened in the past, I will check this out.

If ComboFix is trying to rename itself, this would indicate that I have it already installed, yet when I go into Control Panel, Uninstall a programme, there is no ComboFix installed.

Sorry to be such a pain.

Carry on with the antivirus active.

Transfer it to the desktop using a USB stick and then run it from there, still give you errors?

It's OK - it was the date that had been changed to a five figured year! I've rectified this and now ComboFix is checking for viruses, having downloaded it direct to the PC. It was because the date was wrong that Avira and Comodo wouldn't operate properly, but now they do and I've been able to disable them.

If it has a log report, I will post it to you.

Thanks for all your help.

Compused.

It will have a log, it should pop up when it's done, if not it will be saved at C:\ComboFix.txt

It does have a log but the PC crashes every time I go on to your site and those flash ads start. I don't know how I'm going to be able to submit the log to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back