Virus still here after reformat

MO9999

Hi there,

I have a virus (or malware, trojan, etc.) that is not only sucking on my PC's performance, but affects all input too. When I try to type something, I click on a field to enter the data, but the active cursor jumps to the address bar, accepts only one key stroke, and begins blinking like crazy as if I were typing a million key strokes and over-loading it. Sometimes a yellow bar also appears below the address bar that says, "Skip to main content." The only way to stop it is to hit the ESC key.

This affects all data entry, including in Word and other Office programs.

Also, video is affected. When I'm watching a YouTube clip in full-screen, it suddenly reverts to the smaller screen and freezes until I hit escape - but the audio still strangely plays. It has also crashed a few times while watching video.

I re-formatted, but the problems came back, which leads me to believe that the virus/whatever is attached to one or more of my personal files. It was a pretty strong PC when I bought it last year (quad core 3.4ghz, 16gb memory, 2gb video), so the drag on performance is pretty shocking.

I ran a Windows Security Essentials scan, CCleaner, ESET, TDSS Killer, and all of them show zero issues - but nothing like this was happening before August. I also tried uninstalling my video and keyboard drivers, but that didn't make a difference.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated, as I can't stand my PC acting up like this!!

Thanks very much!

Your post has been moved at the request of the Virus and Malware forum staff. Evidently malware is not the cause of your problem. Other members are welcome to help.

What does this mean? The other link gives instructions for what I should post next, but it doesn't say where I should post it??

Sorry. I know it's confusing. Those instructions (which have been deleted) were for if your problem was malware but another Virus and Malware helper determined your post was not a Virus and Malware issue so it was moved to here. So ignore those instructions for now.

It has to be something like that. This problem came out of the blue after a year of use - no new hardware, no new drivers, no new software. If it's not a virus or malware, I would really appreciate some guidance as to what it could be. These problems surface at least once every few minutes, and it's driving me crazy...

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you done a reformat full then it cant be a virus as all would be wiped
I was thinking maybe something been spilt on keyboard ? very weird problem tho

It is indeed possible for rootkits to survive a reformat/reinstall. However, since you ran TDSSKiller, which would find most rootkits anyway, it appears the malware is no longer affecting your PC.

So if it's not a virus or rootkit, can you please offer some advice as to where I should direct my post? And is it not possible that the virus was sitting in my back-up files, so I just re-installed the virus when I re-installed my files?

Thanks.

You could try reformatting and installing a fresh copy of your os. But this time do not reinstall your personal files. Run it for a while and see how it performs. Then if all is good. Start adding your personal files one at a time. This way you can narrow down if it is a virus or a corrupt file or program you are using. These problems sometimes are very hard to solve. But can be.

I believe most def that if a virus then u probaly reinstalled it when adding your personal files if you got them on a external hard drive or disc or something try doing a scan on them

I believe most def that if a virus then u probaly reinstalled it when adding your personal files if you got them on a external hard drive or disc or something try doing a scan on them

You are right there. But finding maybe the problem. If his virus program dose not pick it up. I just did one just about the same problem. Found the virus after a long search.

You are looking at the possible Software / OS issues that might exist.

• Have you gone to safe mode to see if your problems are evident there?
It could also be a hardware issue, as has been pointed out.
  • If the keyboard is damaged.
  • If you are using a logitech wireless keyboard, and have the usb receiver plugged into a SS-USB (USB3) port.
  • other?
I have found, on the latter, that these work best with USB2 ports.

Darth, you may have better information than I, but...
As I understand it, the BIOS Virus method of attack (uncommon to begin with, and usually pretty specific as to systems it can attack... because the there are several common bios systems...) anyway... the method has been to rewrite the MBR (and to do so again after the system has been cleaned) part of what makes it very difficult to remove. Since the anti-malware team has suggested that there is no evidence of malware, it seems to me this particular possibility is so unlikely as to be unmentionable.
Can you clarify why you would suggest it in this case? Thanks.

It could be a virus or just a software issue. Unless you take the time to root it out . It just a guessing game. Start with a fresh install of windows . Run the computer for a while see how things go. Then add back things one at a time. This way you will know what you added when the computer starts to act up again. Then you will be able to narrow the problem down.

Darth, you may have better information than I, but...
As I understand it, the BIOS Virus method of attack (uncommon to begin with, and usually pretty specific as to systems it can attack... because the there are several common bios systems...) anyway... the method has been to rewrite the MBR (and to do so again after the system has been cleaned) part of what makes it very difficult to remove. Since the anti-malware team has suggested that there is no evidence of malware, it seems to me this particular possibility is so unlikely as to be unmentionable.
Can you clarify why you would suggest it in this case? Thanks.
Just saying a format is not a guarantee that you don't have a virus. I can't cite a specific rootkit that has the symptoms you mention but it certainly would be possible to do what you have experienced.

Also anti-malware generally only know about previously existing techniques of malware infection, not new ones. It's possible they just haven't seen the technique used here if it is a new type of infection. Which is why common sense and regularly patching is really more effective than any anti-malware software. Anti-malware doesn't stop you running format C: at command prompt or running a malicious executable if the program doesn't know about it and so on and any automatic, non-user interaction exploit that is known to the anti-malware team is also known to the OS manufacturer so there should be a patch for it anyway (assuming you are running an OS that is still supported).

Another thing that I have heard of happening before is someone putting a prank USB device in your machine. E.g. https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ae83/

I am having a similar problem to the poster. A reformat is really out of the question and bo virus or malware has been detected. So I urgently would appreciate a solution. Running Windows 7

Your best bet would be to got the malware and virus form here. If You are infected and cannot remove it yourself.

I had been using a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse for some time but this problem as the original poster described started to happen for me a few weeks ago. Today I changed the Logitech for a Microsoft wireless keyboard I had on another computer and so far, fingers crossed, the problem has not happended since. Someone did mention problems with Logitech plugged into a USB 3 port but mine was in a USB 2 and always has been. Still, if the problem keeps away I will be happy. Hope this helps the original poster in that you also have a wireless keyboard.

bo virus or malware has been detected

If you have had a "detection" then go to the Antivirus team and get a thorough check up.
An abatement of symptoms may be coincidence, or the detection may be a false positive.
Only one way to know for sure...
Please start with the two posts at the top of the page HERE

Check with your PC vendor's website, ie, support.dell.com, hp.com, etc, to get the latest BIOS firmware upgrade.
For Windows 7, make sure it has Service Pack 1. Run Windows Update and get all the patches and updates.
Update your drivers from Dell or HP or whoever.
Click on "start" and type "msconfig" in the run bar. Get rid of the background junk under the "Startup" tab. Keep track of what you remove in case you need to re-add it down the road.

BTW, it says "Newcome, in training" since I signed up specifically to reply to you.
I have MCITP, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, and MCP certificates, 10+ years support exp, etc.

After the BIOS, the updates, and msconfig, let me know. TIA

I think it's possibly a hardware conflict.
Do you use a wireless keyboard or mouse?
If you've haven't changed hardware maybe someone close by has and the signals are interfering with each other.

Back