Virus? System runs great for about 30-60 mins then locks up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnySaveABuck

I am running Windows Vista and have not had any problems until the last 2 days...only thing I remember happening recently was getting an update from Adobe Acrobat, otherwise I have not downloaded or installed any new programs.

System will operate great for about 30-60 minutes and then it locks up. I can't click or open/close any programs that are currently running, leaving my only option to turn the system off altogether. When I fire it back up, I am given the option to start Windows normally or in safe mode. Normal mode works great for 30-60 mins and then I am right back to shutting the system down.

Johnny, you have posted in the Virus and Malware forum but cited a connection or system problem. We don't "screen" HijackThis logs and it is not appropriate for this type of problem

Please re-post your problem in the Windows OS forum.

The reason I posted it here is because I think this IS a virus-type issue.... Since posting this yesterday, I haven't had any problems and have run the machine for several hours uninterrupted.

It seems that this issue may occur when my virus protection attempts to run a full sweep. I use Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper.

If this is still posted in the wrong area, fair enough, I'll re-post it where ever it is more appropriate. Thanks for your reply.

Johnny, I have 2 suggestions:

First, run the Error Checking:

My Computer> Right click on Local Drive (C)> Properties> Tools tab> Error Checking> Check both boxes on screen that comes up> OK> Close the nag message and reboot.

It will begin in a few seconds. If this isn't part of your regular maintenance, it will take a while. Please let it complete. The system will reboot when through.

The fact that you are getting the choice of Safe Mode or Normal Mode means there is a problem somewhere.

Second, plan the antivirus full system scan at a time when you aren't active- if that's what it's doing. Spysweeper is a large program and now that the AV has been added, I suspect it uses a lot of the system resources.

I checked the HJT log before I replied and didn't see anything obvious. As I mentioned, we don't 'screen' with this program. If the above two suggestions don't resolve the problems, then we can check for malware. You would need to follow the steps that are set up HERE and leave the 3 logs when complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back