Vista 64 BSOD on log in (with dumps)

exoptable

Sorry to do this all but I'm having some issues here.

vista 64 home
evga x58 sli
evga gtx 295
antec signature sg-850
i7-920
corsair dominator 6x2GB ddr3 1600
creative soundblaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty professional

Thats about all I have hooked up. This rig has been up and running for about 2 years. Early this morning around 2-3am it just rebooted out of no where while in use. After that as soon as I tried to log in as a user under my normal account it would BSOD. If I tried to log in under the super admin account (the one you unlock via command prompt) it starts to at least load the desk top then BSOD. Safe mode under my normal user sometimes works sometimes dies. safe mode under the super admin mostly works but will still bsod now and then. I ran memtest86+ off the UBCD for about 10 years. all 12gigs checked out. Against my better judgment I also tried a roll back to the 4th.

Sorry to bother everyone. If I forgot any info please ask.
Thanks for your time.

attachments didn't work? I see. the limit is 200k for some reason and all mine are 250 or 275k or there about. fantastic.

Nothing definitive was cited but with your error codes it is looking live drivers are your probable cause but which ones are not stated.

1. Have you attempted to scan for infections?

3. Have you updated any drivers as of late particularly video card drivers?

I did a complete system scan for viruses around the 1st.

My last video driver updates are prob from october. If not then from march 2010.

thank you

I found my records here. The reason I scanned earlier this week was while at the pc but not actively doing anything I got one of those pop up antvirus scans that are a virus. "Antivirus.NET" I run symantech end point protection 11. That is the first virus that I am aware of to get through in the 2 years that computer was running. symantech did not clean it but avg did so I downloaded that and cleaned it up. ran fine until early this morning when it just rebooted without a bsod then started with all the blue screens upon reboot. I don't know if any of this helps or not. I also did a windows update after the virus. Other then that I think it was end of oct or early nov that I did the last update of any kind.

thank you again for your time.

it appears that I have the "super admin" account working however my normal admin account still blue screens within one or two seconds after clicking it to log in. Is there a way to find out what each account is trying to load so I can start narrowing things down?
Thanks

no actually I dont have either installed right now. I had read that antivirus could cause the problem so they got uninstalled. while both safe mode accounts and the normal start up on the super admin account seem to function ( cant recall if normal start up on super admin is gimped or not) my regular admin user account still blue screens right away.

You are correct on that antivirus.

Please attach those minidump files that occured after you uninstalled the anitviruses.

I think that would be dumps 3 and up. Before I posted here I had already removed the antivirus. That was one of the first things I did once I was able to access safe mode.

Thank you for checking in. I didnt have to much to report so I didnt make a post. I'm out of town now for a week so I wont be making any further progress. Yesterday I received a new bulk package 2tb hitachi drive from newegg. I did a fresh install using a genuine MS windows 7 64bit dvd. As soon as it booted to windows the first time the malicious software tool found a virus. I forget the exact name but it infects the MBR and hides in a hidden partition or perhaps the system reserved partition. Either way it partially removed it according to the program. I had to install twice because of a bios setting I changed and it did the same thing the second time. now I (foolishly) did have the old hard drive still attached to the main board. After the OS was loaded I installed symantec end point 11 and ran a full system scan. It found nothing. So far the system seems stable. No blue screens. A number of reboots. the OS and all drivers are up to date but no other software besides SEP11 is installed. I will post the name of the virus next week when I return home. However given the info provided do you feel this could have caused my problems on the other hard drive where in the end I could boot into both accounts in safe, the account I never use normally but could not load my normal user account?
thank you again for the help. I will keep the post updated. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.

The virus you had are some of the nastiest that there is. No wonder you were having problems. Keep an eye on your old harddrive.

I would suggest the following in addition to your current Symantec: Run ESET's NOD32 scanner and the free versions of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Uninstall once done.

That sounds good. Thank you. I think I'll run that software on my notebook here too since I run SEP11 on everything. I'm a little dissapointed in SEP for not noticing any issue.

it looks like I do have the info with me on the virus windows found during install.

Trojan:DOS/Alureon.A

windows description is

infects MBR
executes ldr16
file stored on encrypted virtual file system (VFS) created by Trojan:Win32/Alureon.DX

eset online scanner picked up about 8 things off the old drive. 2 or so looked pretty bad. Nothing else picked up anything before or after eset. windows 7 seems to be running well now.

since I appear to be well out of the loop on virus protection and SEP does not appear to do very well at all anymore. Can you suggest what a good program would be to use? Also if you have any idea what a good one for ubuntu 64 would be for my server?

Thanks again for all the help.

Back