Vista BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwaynem

I keep getting the BSOD on my VISTA emachines T5226. I ran the RAM test for 12 hours with no errors. I ran dskchk. Here are 3 minidumps from one day. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Mini101108-01.dmp
    135.2 KB · Views: 6
Your first minidump is an 0xA error and these are strong indications of hardware issue. In your case it cited memory. As good as Memtest is it is not uncommon for bad RAM to pass the test. I suggest running the test on each stick for a minimum of 7 passes.

The other two errors are 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

What firewall and antivirus do you run?

Thanks for your help with the minidump. I regularly get the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" BSOD messages - at least three times a day.

I use the Windows firewall. The virus software is Norton 360. I use LogMeIn (v4.0.734) and NoIP DUC (v2.2.1) for remote control.

I ran the memtest for about 12 hours, but with both sticks together. I will run again with each stick separately.

I don't have any SCSI devices. The only PCI card I have is the modem installed by the manufacturer (eMachines). Of course, it could be bad.

I'll start with the memory test. Any other suggestions?

I ran the memtest on each stick for 75-80 cycles. No errors. I put both sticks back in and started it up again. I am beginning to think this test won't find the error. I have about 12 hours on both sticks together and about 9 hours on each stick separately with no errors.

If it is a software error, is there any way to tell which program executed the page fault problem?

Yes,try uninstalling Norton. The reason I asked for your antivirus is because certain ones can cause issues such as you are experiencing.

For troubleshooting try running a full harddrive diagnostics, but first tell us if you get stability by uninstalling Norton.

Wow, Norton was quite stubborn to remove! Norton update service especially. Only way to zap it was to use the Norton removal tool. Uninstall would not work. They are all gone now. Let's see if it runs overnight. Thanks for the help.

Well, after I removed Norton 360, it has almost been 24 hours with no BSOD when I had been getting 3 or 4 a day! It is ironic that the software that was supposed to protect my computer was crashing it. I will let it run a while longer to see if the 0xA error comes back. I may have fixed that problem by reseating the RAM when I removed them to test one stick at a time. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

I hope my above link to post helped you understand more as well (we can only hope :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back