Vista doesn't recognize USB devices

I have a dell inspiron e1505 running windows vista and for the past few weeks, none of my USB devices that I connect work, I have tried to connect 2 different webcams, my hard drive and my phone, while they do receive power, windows says that the device has malfunctioned and can't recognize it. Then windows goes on to "install" drivers however it is still read as "unknown device" I have tried several things including registry booster (but i didnt get all of them fixed) and even reinstalled vista. Any help?

Please don't use any registry repair programs. They are as likely to destroy as to repair.
Try deleting(Uninstall) all the USB ports in Device Manager and rebooting.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think using a registry cleaner is the first thing to do when something goes wrong.

Using a registry cleaner is the last thing you want to do!

See [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

And be sure you're current with all Windows Updates and you have SP2 installed.

If you still keep getting "Unknown device" do post back and let us know

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think using a registry cleaner is the first thing to do when something goes wrong.

Using a registry cleaner is the last thing you want to do!

I was searching online for a solution, and found someone with basically the same problem as me, and they posted to use the program from uniblue.

See [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

And be sure you're current with all Windows Updates and you have SP2 installed.

If you still keep getting "Unknown device" do post back and let us know

Going to go try it now thanks sir

Darn :(

See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Follow the 2nd part of the Guide so you can create and try booting from a Knoppix CD. Then test your USB ports under Knoppix
> If they work under Knoppix, at least you'll know it's a Windows problem
> If they still fail under Knoppix as well it's probably a problem with your computer :(

/* edit */
Also.. you'll probably only be able to test standard USB devices (using standard drivers) under Knoppix (like trying a USB flash drive or US external HD or USB CD/DVD ROM). Since you're booting from a CD, don't know if things like a USB web cam would under Knoppix but standard USB devices certainly should

ok, also when i disconnected(uninstalled) the usb root hubs, it was fine but when i uninstalled 2 controllers, it would reinstall the first then if i did the third, it would reinstall the second, before i got to reboot. is that a problem?

ok, also when i disconnected(uninstalled) the usb root hubs, it was fine but when i uninstalled 2 controllers, it would reinstall the first then if i did the third, it would reinstall the second, before i got to reboot. is that a problem?
Hmmm.. It's been awhile since i last reinstalled all the USB controllers myself (and wrote the Guide) so i'd have to recheck... So I think it's worth you first creating and booting from a Knoppix CD (per my prior post). As if your USB drives still fail under Knoppix, we'll know it's a not a Windows problem so need no to try a controller reinstall if that;s the case

/* edit */
And since this is a latpop, right? I'm assuming you're not trying to reinstall USB with any USB devices installed, yes? Tho in any case, still best to see what happens if you boot from a Knoppix CD

Back