Vista Programe not responding box

Status
Not open for further replies.

account73

Hi all

I am hoping someone can help me out.
Just recently i got my new laptop ( With the help of people from these forums : ) and it has windows vista on it.
This is the first time i've used vista, so i am still exploring it and getting use to all the changes.
One feature i've noticed that happens quite often, and rather annoying is the 'programe not responding box'
Look here to see what i mean

90% of the time this message has appeared the programe actualy is still working. It's just becuase i've switched to something else whilst the programe loads and then switched back to be greeted with that message.
Is there a way i can disable this message ? I can see it's going to cause me problems by always displaying this.

More often than not, when the message is displayed it's actually because the program has, in fact, stopped working correctly and Windows is suspending it to keep from extending any problems further.

Is this happening on a certain program or when you do a certain task? Perhaps if you tell us a bit more, the great people in these forums can help out.

Cheers,

Hi,
Nope the programe is fine.
Lets use this for an example.
Say i'm playing a game and waiting for a level to load. I switch tabs to an internet page to look at something, when i switch back to the game it displays the not responding message because the level hasnt loaded fully yet, but if you actualy wait a little longer it loads the level fine. It's like Vista jumps the gun and says a programe isnt repoding when if it gave it a bit more of a chance it actualy does.
Thats just an example because i dont play games much :)
Hopefuly it makes sence.
I thought there might be a tweak of the settings i can make somewhere to stop this from happening. It rather annoying to keep clicking 'Wait for this programme to respond'

So, when you click "wait for this program to respond" does it seem to respond right away (since you're seeing that the program is working) or does it continue to not let you access the program?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but this will ultimately get us to a fix for you (hopefully).

Cheers,

Hey,
Questions are fine :)
Umm no the programme doesn’t respond straight away when I click 'Wait for this programme to respond' The message box goes and then a second later it comes back again and that’s where I click ' wait for this programme to respond' once again.
Let’s say I’m playing a game and the level that’s loading is 70% complete. Whilst it's loading I go check my emails in outlook, when I return back to the game I get the not responding message. Every time I click 'wait for this programme to respond' the message box then reappears. This will happen until the level reaches 100% loaded.
When I get this not responding box the game is in fact frozen, but that’s just because it is loading and I minimised it ( My own fault for it being frozen when I’m minimising whilst it loads ) It's frozen only until the level loads though and I only get the not responding box till the level loads. Once the level has loaded fully the game unfreezes and the not responding box goes away.
I hope that makes more sense ? Basicly i just want to get rid of this not responding box from appearing. I'm fine with the programme freezing until it's loaded, just that not responding box is very irritating :)

I’m thinking there might be a registry tweak I can make to stop this from happening, I could be completely wrong though !

account73

When you see that message, it means that windows doesn't know whether the program you're trying to use has crashed, or simply busy.

account73

When you see that message, it means that windows doesn't know whether the program you're trying to use has crashed, or simply busy.

Yup, So is there a way to stop it?
I dont need to be told that my programme may of crashed, i will know if it has by it not loading after five minutes. I wouldnt mind as much if it didnt do it so often. Vista just seems jump the gun so much and displays the message at the smallest of hints that the programme could of crashed.
I've only been using vista the the last week, but so far every time i get this message the programme actualy does come back, like you said simply busy loading.

Vista sucks alot

i play a game called conquer online 2.0 and ive been playing it for months and all of a sudden everytime i open the game client and the game loads up it works normal for 20 seconds and then goes straight to a not responding message

i use Windows Vista x86-64 bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back