VLC 3.0 to enable Chromecast support across many devices

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
The next major version of VLC's venerable media player will support Google Chromecast. News of the addition was found in a recent VLC changelog that details the changes between version 2.2 and version 3.0 of the popular open-source, cross-platform media...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/59781-vlc-30-enable-chromecast-support-across-many-devices.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

So if I decided to stream something to my tv with this device, bandwith gets used right? My ISP is comcast. Sadly.

VitalyT

Russ-Puss
2.2?

The official release version so far is 2.1.5, there is no 2.2 yet. And those releases are very infrequent. Probably will be next year before 3.0 is released...

PeterDee

TS Rookie
So if I decided to stream something to my tv with this device, bandwith gets used right? My ISP is comcast. Sadly.
Just use the lan for vlc casting so isp bandwidth doesn't even come into play.
Don't mean to contradict your statement, but regardless of whether you are connected via your LAN or WiFi, it still uses the same amount of bandwidth passing through your Comcast modem out to the internet.

SNGX1275

TS Forces Special
Don't mean to contradict your statement, but regardless of whether you are connected via your LAN or WiFi, it still uses the same amount of bandwidth passing through your Comcast modem out to the internet.
Why would casting to a device on your Local Area Network, go out to the internet and then back to your computer?