VNC problems connecting between internal Windows PCs

VNC was working on my internal network viewing between different machines. I just changed the router (netgear wrn3500) and can't seem to connect between machines anymore. Able to access internet from each machine and can see windows shares. I am using the ip address assigned directly instead of using machine names.
Router firmware is stock.
Another thing is that the router is setup to use opendns. Had used opendns some time before and somewhat sure there were no problems with vnc.

Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions to the cause...

I am using the ip address assigned directly instead of using machine names.

Another thing is that the router is setup to use opendns. Had used opendns some time before and somewhat sure there were no problems with vnc
OpenDNS would be for name resolution and you're using IP addresses - - > not relevant
VNC was working on my internal network viewing between different machines. I just changed the router (netgear wrn3500) and can't seem to connect between machines anymore. Able to access internet from each machine and can see windows shares.
Router firmware is stock.
The router is not involved in the connection other than routing; if you can ping and use the shares, then I'm sure the router is irrelevant too.

I would suspect your firewall(s) on both ends. The VNC ports need to be opened on both machines.

VNC by default uses TCP port 5900+N,[5][6] where N is the display number (usually :0 for a physical display). Several implementations also start a basic HTTP server on port 5800+N to provide a VNC viewer as a Java applet, allowing easy connection through any Java-enabled web browser. Different port assignments can be used as long as both client and server are configured accordingly.

I'll look into the firewall settings on the machine when I get home. However, I didn't think that would be the issue, since VNC was working just before I changed the router. I was wondering if there could be some filter settings on the router that may be messing with the packets.

Thanks.

Any filtering by the router would be between the WAN (Internet) side and the LAN connections, NOT between LAN<->LAN

Back