Wal-Mart to sell 17" Toshiba notebook for $348

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you've been holding off on the back-to-school laptop sales, you may want to pay your local Wal-Mart a visit this weekend. Starting Sunday the retailer is expected to offer a 17" Toshiba Satellite L355 for $348.

System specs include a resolution of 1,440 x 900, an Intel Celeron 900 CPU and GMA 4500M integrated graphics, 3GB of RAM (4GB max), a 250GB 5400RPM HDD, and an 8x DVD writer. Additional features include a full number pad alongside the keyboard, three USB 2.0 ports, VGA-out, Ethernet and an ExpressCard 34/54 slot.

In their recent review, Laptop Mag gave the Satellite L355 a positive four out of five stars. The unit isn't attractive looking, it's not particularly portable at 7lbs and it won't dice through games; but you'll be hard-pressed to find a better bargain.

Permalink to story.

Not a bad little system for my wife, who only does on-line banking and checks her email. Her current Toshiba laptop is 6 years old, but has a Celeron 1.5 Ghz CPU. Aside from being old and worried about predicted hardware failure due to age, she doesn't have any other driving need to replace it.

This is a bit of a step up from the L305 Toshiba that Best Buy was running at $299,99. It has the same CPU, GMA4500, but Vista basic, 160GB HDD and only 2GB of RAM, 15.6 " screen @ 1200 X 800. I bought one of these to show photos with, and I'm very, very happy with it. I have to say though, the extra $48.00 gets you a lot of goodies on the WalMart offering.

BTW, I installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 3,(Version 3 is 4+ yrs old), Vista complained a bit, then configured it to run as compatibility for XP SP2, and the program works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back