Wallpaper keeps vanishing, windows xp won't let me change it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there.

I recently had my computer reformatted and Windows XP pro performance installed onto it. My previous copy of XP pro seems to have been dodgy, and lack of updates had made going on the internet impossible, because some of the system 32 files had been corrupted. The new copy worked fine, and we could use the internet.

However, a couple of weeks after a got my computer back, I logged on to my settings as usual, and then the custom wallpaper I had set suddenly vanished, replaced by a grey background, and the icons disappeared momentarily, then appeared again. A box flashed up saying: 'Boot Logo can't change! Install Windows service pack 2.' with an OK button. When I pressed OK, another box flashed up saying: 'LogonUI can't change! Install Windows service pack 2.' with an OK button. This was news to me, as I had not been trying to change either, and I hadn't been messing with the registry or anything. I have Windows XP Pro Performance, Service Pack 3, which should automatically have service pack 2 integrated.

I tried to change the wallpaper using the properties window from the desktop, which worked, until I logged back on the next day, and the same thing happened. I had no problems changing the screen-saver, or creatively organizing my desktop icons, it's just the wallpaper that seems to be having problems. It's set as 'custom modified', either way. I asked my partner if he was experiencing the same problems, and he said no. His wallpaper, which incidentally is the same as mine was, is staying put.

I went on the net and had a look for similar problems. There was a range of advice given. This is everything I've tried that has failed:
I have tried copying and pasting the jpg into the relevant application folder.
I have tried adding a 'NoChangingWallpaper' key to the ...windows>policies>active desktop registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER, as directed.
I have looked at the registry on my partner's settings, and his seem to be different. I compared our registry's at HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Desktop and found that he has some keys that I don't have. One caught my eye, which was Wallpaper REG_SZ, which in his has the location of the image he is using as his wallpaper as a value. Mine has no value specified, it's just blank. So I went to edit>modify, and tried entering the location of the image I wanted to use as a wallpaper as a value in my own registry. It seemed to work, for a moment, then the wallpaper vanished again, and the two boxes flashed up, as always. I went to look at the registry, and the value I had put in had disappeared, leaving it blank once more.

I have tried everything I can think of, but I also don't want to mess up my registry by adding keys when I don't really know what I'm doing. Also, when the new OS was installed, the friend that did it for me added another hard disk. He copied mine and my partner's settings onto the new disk, and then installed the windows onto the old one. But when he copied the documents and settings over, the original program files were copied too, including all of the original windows files. They seem to be dormant though. Either way, I have no idea what to do next. Can anybody help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back