Walmart is partnering with Uber and Lyft to deliver groceries purchased online

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Internet and technology in general have revolutionized the world of commerce, allowing consumers to order products via their computer or mobile device and have them arrive at their door or office within a few days or even a few hours.

Remarkably enough, nobody has figured out how to efficiently deliver groceries. Sure, you can order canned goods and other non-perishables but I’m talking about temperature-sensitive items like milk, yogurt, cheese, seafood and ice cream – goods that would spoil without proper refrigeration.

Major grocery store chains have done their part to put stores within our cities and towns but getting items from the store to your home is largely your responsibility.

Several companies have tried to crack the grocery delivery nut but thus far, none have really succeeded outside of a few local test markets. Will Walmart’s latest effort fare any better? Perhaps.

Rather than create its own delivery division, Walmart is partnering with established ride services Uber and Lyft on a last-mile delivery program that’ll initially be piloted in Denver and Phoenix.

As Bloomberg explains, customers would select and pay for their groceries online. Employees at the local Walmart would then fill the order and have an Uber or Lyft driver come pick them up and deliver them to the customer. Walmart would charge a fee of between $7 to $10 for the delivery service, we’re told.

Would you be willing to pay a small fee to avoid the grocery store experience and have your purchases hand-delivered? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I ordered Amazon Prime Now and I liked it. They have their own products or products from local grocery stores. The cold stuff is packed in styrofoam boxes that can be disassembled with ice. The frozen stuff is packed with dry ice. They recommended to add on a $5 tip. The bags and styrafoam will be returned next time I order. It took 2-3 hours. For me, grocery delivery only makes sense if I get refrigerated stuff.

I ordered Amazon Prime Now and I liked it. They have their own products or products from local grocery stores. The cold stuff is packed in styrofoam boxes that can be disassembled with ice. The frozen stuff is packed with dry ice. They recommended to add on a $5 tip. The bags and styrafoam will be returned next time I order. It took 2-3 hours. For me, grocery delivery only makes sense if I get refrigerated stuff.

Well, you are just the person I'd want to question about this. It only makes sense if you get refridgerated stuff? I'd think it was the opposite? As well as produce... That's something I'd also want to pick out for myself. Ya know? Can you be more thorough with your description? Like for example, why would it make sense if you only get refrigerated stuff? I've been curious about services like this.

Well, you are just the person I'd want to question about this. It only makes sense if you get refridgerated stuff? I'd think it was the opposite? As well as produce... That's something I'd also want to pick out for myself. Ya know? Can you be more thorough with your description? Like for example, why would it make sense if you only get refrigerated stuff? I've been curious about services like this.

I'm in the same boat --- I'd be hesitant to have an employee selecting bad produce, meats, etc. They have no reason to avoid getting you that gallon of milk that expires 4 days from now.

Correction: It's Amazon Fresh that delivers in the styrafoam. I have a 1 month trial and they gave me a $25 off deal on my first order (invitation only). Amazon Prime Now also delivers cold stuff but in paper bags. I'll probably just stick with Prime Now when my trial is over. Both are only available in certain areas.

I want to save a trip to the grocery store, and it's refrigerated stuff that I need to get every week. I haven't gotten unpackaged produce yet (just bagged salad).

I don't know why Amazon has two different services. I did both at the same time and found each had slightly better prices on certain items.

I would pay a fee to have my stuff delivered. 7-10 bucks is more then I would pay though

"Remarkably enough, nobody has figured out how to efficiently deliver groceries. Sure, you can order canned goods and other non-perishables but I’m talking about temperature-sensitive items like milk, yogurt, cheese, seafood and ice cream – goods that would spoil without proper refrigeration."

Are you kidding? Have you never head of Schwan? They've only been around forever and they have actual fridge/freezer trucks! Their stuff is top quality as well. In any case, if you live in or near a town and are able to drive or get a ride, I can't understand why you'd be willing to pay a huge premium to have plain old groceries delivered. A service like this might be useful to those who live a good ways from town and rarely travel far from home, but you can bet the delivery areas will be very limited. I guess Schwan's will still own that market for years to come.

I see this being a boom in larger cities, but, the city I live in, population under 200,000 it's like there
is a grocery store every few blocks. In fact, I pass two of them, to and from work each day.

I remember reading somewhere... they did a study about this. Apparently people at the grocery store pick meat and produce about as well as you would. You think that it's this subjective thing that only you can do, but pretty much anyone can pick out good meat and produce. They're not going to give you the stuff that's almost rotting or spoiled because you would never order it again.

I remember reading somewhere... they did a study about this. Apparently people at the grocery store pick meat and produce about as well as you would. You think that it's this subjective thing that only you can do, but pretty much anyone can pick out good meat and produce. They're not going to give you the stuff that's almost rotting or spoiled because you would never order it again.

That's true and a good point. I'm speaking more of peculiarities, where as when one person thinks something looks good, whether it is or not, another person may not think it looks good. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with whether the produce/product is actually good or not.

Back