Watch a Tesla travel from SF to LA with almost no human intervention

midian182

Staff member
In brief: It’s incredible just how far self-driving technology has come in the last decade. To give you an idea of what today’s vehicles can do, watch the video above of a Tesla Model 3 equipped with the company’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) feature complete a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles with almost no intervention from the human behind the wheel.

Tesla enthusiast Whole Mars Catalog (WMC) posted a time-lapse clip of the 380-mile journey compressed into 15 minutes.

The only apparent intervention came when the car crossed into LA and a piece of debris “popped up suddenly after a car moved out of the way.” WMC wrote that “I couldn’t wait to see if FSD would avoid it and had to make sure to move over myself.” Additionally, the battery wasn’t fully charged, so there were two charging stops during the trip.

There was also a moment where the car exhibited some unusual behavior around San Francisco’s Market Street when it moved into an adjacent lane. WMC writes that while most people would have taken manual control at this point, they watched closely for any danger but never intervened.

Offering more features and autonomy compared to Autopilot, Tesla’s limited FSD beta started rolling out in October. It can change lanes, park, and drive itself to owners in certain areas. Elon Musk says, based on his own experience, that FSD is able to navigate complicated series of intersections and narrow roads.

The scenario of a world filled with cars driving themselves as we sit in the passenger seats watching TV is still a long way off, but being able to drive hundreds of miles between cities is a major step toward a self-driving future.

Permalink to story.

90miles per hour? Is that even allowed in the USA?

Typically the cops will only get you for 30mph above the limit on the highway, but it’s arbitrary.

In parts of the country with very long, straight highways and expansive drives the cops may or may not choose to bother you. Just so long as you’re not driving recklessly.

"with almost no human intervention"

From all that I have read and studied about Tesla I do hope they are being more aggressive about warning drivers against sleeping or ignoring the road ahead of them. Almost sounds great ... until a semi-tractor trailer pulls out on you and the car doesn't react.

Nothing special there. Self driving car is not problem on good weather conditions and when there are not any really complicated situations.

As we have seen on previous Tesla accidents, those complicated situations are when humans are much better than AI and will be for very long time. To be honest, I suspect AI will never be able to match good human driver with driving aids (radar, HUD etc).

If you don't want to drive, take public transportation. If you're driving from SF to LA, then drive the damn thing and if you don't like driving it, buy something you DO like driving.

Those engineers are completely crazy sometimes, they want to remove the gas and brake pedals to reduce the weight and complexity. Who is gonna buy a car without pedals??
A similar thought they had and the Intel engineers with Itanium, “that cache prediction thing is very annoying, how we can rid off that thing?” “Mmm lets pass it to software guys…” “Brilliant idea” And of course it failed :)

So, Tesla's self-driving feature works, except when it doesn't. Which means it doesn't work.

Typically the cops will only get you for 30mph above the limit on the highway, but it’s arbitrary.

In parts of the country with very long, straight highways and expansive drives the cops may or may not choose to bother you. Just so long as you’re not driving recklessly.
30mph above speed limit?! I'm from the EU btw. Here if you are 30mph above speed limit(31.7 to be exact) you will lose your license.
Regarding Google the max speed limit is 75 (Except for Texas)
Still don't get it why Tesla AP drives 90mph. Even if cops doesn't bother you. It is the speedlimit.

Back