Watch as self-driving Audi RS 7 becomes the fastest self-driving car in the world

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Self-driving cars are coming and as Audi demonstrates in the clip above, they’re much more capable than you might think. The German automaker recently equipped an Audi RS 7 with its autonomous driving system to demonstrate its capabilities... at racing speeds.

The 560 horsepower driverless car hit the Hockenheimring racing circuit in Germany to perform a qualifying lap-style run. As you’ll see in the video above, the autonomous system performed exceptionally well and shows just how far the technology has come.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Racing is supposed to be a fun challenge for a human... Why would anyone want a computer to do it? Just to prove it can be done? The only potential usage of this tech I could see would be to program "piloted" ambulances and fire response vehicles to drive to a destination as fast as possible without causing harm. Even with all the tech I don't think it could do it through a crowded city without a scratch.

Racing is supposed to be a fun challenge for a human... Why would anyone want a computer to do it? Just to prove it can be done? The only potential usage of this tech I could see would be to program "piloted" ambulances and fire response vehicles to drive to a destination as fast as possible without causing harm. Even with all the tech I don't think it could do it through a crowded city without a scratch.

Mercedes-Benz might have something to say about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihC5flC-38

I agree that the technology is meaningless on a racetrack, but suggesting the technology isn't likely to be developed to stage X is more than a little bit naive.

Let me rephrase. Driving is fun. Getting a car that drives itself? I'd rather wipe my ***..has a purpose

"Driving is fun." Yes, you are right. Driving is fun. However, looking at the number of accidents and the number of deaths from accidents, one could argue that people are rather bad at it. Maybe it should be left to robots. But of course, most people will prefer 1000 deaths due to human error to just 1 death due to a robot-error.

By the way: Flying is fun. Driving a train is fun. But most of us don't do that either.

"Driving is fun." Yes, you are right. Driving is fun. However, looking at the number of accidents and the number of deaths from accidents, one could argue that people are rather bad at it. Maybe it should be left to robots. But of course, most people will prefer 1000 deaths due to human error to just 1 death due to a robot-error.

By the way: Flying is fun. Driving a train is fun. But most of us don't do that either.

No, people would rather be free to live their lives as they see fit. This includes having the choice to manually operate a vehicle. It has nothing to do, however, with preferring harm to come to others.

Accordingly: 5 out of 10. Your trolling was decent, but lacked any originality or wit. Come back after you've eaten a few goats.

Back