Watch the "impossible" $20,000 Halo 2 challenge being beaten

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Long gone are the days when playing video games all day was considered a waste of time. Even if someone doesn't become an esports pro, they could still make a lot of money by being really, really good at a particular game. Just ask Twitch streamer JerValiN, whose proficiency at Halo 2 has won him $20,000 for completing a challenge most considered impossible.

Streamer Charlie 'Cr1tikal' White set a challenge earlier this year for someone to complete a deathless 'Legendary All Skulls On' (LASO) Halo 2 Anniversary run. Casual players will know that finishing the game on Legendary difficulty is an arduous feat in itself, but turning on all but one of the skull modifiers and finishing the game without dying once makes it impossible—or so Cr1tikal thought.

The secret skulls found across the Halo franchise contain modifiers mostly designed to make the games harder, such as turning off the radar/entire HUD, increasing enemy difficulty, and halving the amount of dropped ammo. Cr1tikal was so confident nobody could do the deathless LASO run that he offered $5,000 as a reward. After several weeks of unsuccessful attempts, he increased it to $20,000.

Only one person previously completed a version of this challenge, JerValiN, but he had used the single modifier not allowed, Envy, which gives players invisibility instead of a flashlight.

Not surprisingly, it was JerValiN who finally managed to beat the ultimate challenge—becoming the first person known to have done so—in just under six-and-a-half hours. As is usually the case with speedruns, he had to use plenty of game bugs to get through it. But this was no easy win for the streamer; it took over a month of trying and on several occasions he failed close to the finish line.

Dot Esports notes that the number of streamers trying to win the money saw the Halo 2 category on Twitch explode to over 287,000 hours watched in July.

Now that the deathless LASO run has been conquered, JerValiN is planning on an even more difficult challenge, one in which he can't fire his weapon.

Permalink to story.

...What? Maybe you should elaborate, as this out of pocket comment makes no sense.
Americans have devolved to the point that they are celebrating the possibility of state-inflicted violence being imposed on themselves.

...What? Maybe you should elaborate, as this out of pocket comment makes no sense.
It's considered income and must be claimed on his tax return. My guess is he won't. Nothing to do with Bitter, just tired of the people who work for a living and pay taxes, paying for all of the benefits for people who sneak around taxes. He may pay taxes, but who knows.

It's considered income and must be claimed on his tax return. My guess is he won't. Nothing to do with Bitter, just tired of the people who work for a living and pay taxes, paying for all of the benefits for people who sneak around taxes. He may pay taxes, but who knows.
So... because he might do something illegal with a publicly won $20k prize, he's a loser? I don't see the point of this random conjecture.

Lets be honest, This guy hasn't said he won't be paying tax, it's the law, so he probably will.

This level of anger should really be directed to the Twitch Thots, "Premium" SnapChat and OnlyFans crowds as they actively avoid paying taxes. Some of them openly admit on stream they don't even know how to go about paying tax or how to submit it properly etc...

And those girls earn crazy money, talking a million+ each month for the popular ones but a lot of them get donated thousands every month just on Twitch, then add in their OnlyFans Subscribers, SnapChat subs etc...

There's a few YouTubers that started up OnlyFans accounts under different names, didn't advertise it or anything and usually just took feet photos and they're raking in 30k every 6 months from a few feet photos...

I enjoy being an ugly tech nerd, but sometimes I do wish I was hot enough that just a few photos in my underwear would rake in serious money.

Lets be honest, This guy hasn't said he won't be paying tax, it's the law, so he probably will.

This level of anger should really be directed to the Twitch Thots, "Premium" SnapChat and OnlyFans crowds as they actively avoid paying taxes. Some of them openly admit on stream they don't even know how to go about paying tax or how to submit it properly etc...

And those girls earn crazy money, talking a million+ each month for the popular ones but a lot of them get donated thousands every month just on Twitch, then add in their OnlyFans Subscribers, SnapChat subs etc...

There's a few YouTubers that started up OnlyFans accounts under different names, didn't advertise it or anything and usually just took feet photos and they're raking in 30k every 6 months from a few feet photos...

I enjoy being an ugly tech nerd, but sometimes I do wish I was hot enough that just a few photos in my underwear would rake in serious money.
Well stated lol on the underwear. Yeah, I'm in good enough shape for an underwear photo, but nobody wants to pay to see anyone over 50 :)

Back