Watch this skydiver almost get hit by meteorite

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As if skydiving wasn’t a perilous enough experience, one man recently had to contend with something far more worrisome (and unlikely) while plummeting through the air: a meteorite. That’s exactly what happened during a recent jump by skydiver Anders Helstrup. Fortunately he walked away from the incident unscathed and lucky for us, he managed to catch the entire incident on film.

According to geologist Hans Amundsen from the Natural History Museum in Oslo, the odds of something like this are pretty astronomical (no pun intended). He said the chances of this happening are much less likely than winning the lottery three times in a row – or in other words, it’ll probably never happen again.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Shawn its april 4th not april 1st, that meteorite is massive bet it blew a massive hole in the world.

Shawn its april 4th not april 1st, that meteorite is massive bet it blew a massive hole in the world.
Yeah anyone can film a meteorite, they don't need to skydive to do it. Oh and the sky is full of skydivers, someone was bound to catch a meteorite on film eventually.</endsarcasm>

Why is it some people think meteorites are always large enough to be globally destructive? Or why people think stories about meteorites are only newsworthy, when they are destructive.

Kinda reminds me of the World Trade Center UFO Video
too cool to be true

Yeah anyone can film a meteorite, they don't need to skydive to do it. Oh and the sky is full of skydivers, someone was bound to catch a meteorite on film eventually.</endsarcasm>

Why is it some people think meteorites are always large enough to be globally destructive? Or why people think stories about meteorites are only newsworthy, when they are destructive.

The "Meteore" is like the size of a gold ball someone could have thrown it once he dropped out of the plane I mean come on what are the chances a meteore is literally inches away from you when sky diving like 7billion to 1??? and it just SOOO happens to happen when the guy drops out of a plane with a camera catching it 100%.... I call failed april 1st post.

The "Meteore" is like the size of a gold ball someone could have thrown it once he dropped out of the plane I mean come on what are the chances a meteore is literally inches away from you when sky diving like 7billion to 1??? and it just SOOO happens to happen when the guy drops out of a plane with a camera catching it 100%.... I call failed april 1st post.
I'm with you. If it survived entry it wouldn't be as angular as it is. I paused the video at one point when you can see a completely flat surface.
XiVwHha.jpg

Because they don't know any better and all their knowledge of asteroids & meteorites are gleaned from Sci-fi flicks, they have no idea that thousands of tons of space debris falls on the earth every year.

Back