WD1002FAEX or WD10EZEX for gaming?

Alpha Gamer

I'll probably have to buy a new HDD in the very near future and I was wondering, which one should I get?

I would go with the WD1002FAEX. I always prefer Caviar Black drives over blue.

Newegg Lookup:
  • WD1002FAEX - $199.95 (WD Black: For Power Computing: 5 years limited Warranty)
  • WD10EZEX - $59.99 (WD Blue: For Daily Computing: 2 years limited Warranty)
So the question is whether to buy WD Black or WD Blue? Other than Black costing three times as much, all the details mentioned are the same. It would seem above all, your budget would answer the question.

I would go with the WD1002FAEX. I always prefer Caviar Black drives over blue.
And why is that?
Newegg Lookup:
  • WD1002FAEX - $199.95 (WD Black: For Power Computing: 5 years limited Warranty)
  • WD10EZEX - $59.99 (WD Blue: For Daily Computing: 2 years limited Warranty)
So the question is whether to buy WD Black or WD Blue? Other than Black costing three times as much, all the details mentioned are the same. It would seem above all, your budget would answer the question.
In my region, Black is considerably cheaper and Blue is way more expensive than the prices you showed. In fact, the difference is something of 20%-25%. Therefore, me asking: is the difference in price worth the performance gains?

Edit: my question is more like: if the specs are so similar, what makes the black so much more expensive?

Last edited:
I'd say if you can get Black for cheaper, then go for it.
Therefore, me asking: is the difference in price worth the performance gains?
I'm tempted to say there are no performance gains. I see the Black as being sold with higher quality parts strengthening durability.

I would take the Black over the Blue anyday for these reasons:
1) It has a 5 year warranty versus the Blue's 2 year warranty.
2) The Black drive is optimized to be faster than the blue. The only way WD can market it is if it were faster than the cheaper option.

That being said though, IN YOUR CASE, I would take the WD Blue since the serial numbers with a Z in them mean that it is a newer iteration of the drive (late 2013ish). The FAEX means it is a generation behind. The latest version is the WD Black with the serial number FZEX. It goes for $90 here in the US, so if you can get your hands on the Black version with a FZEX serial number, then go for it.

I would take the Black over the Blue anyday for these reasons:
1) It has a 5 year warranty versus the Blue's 2 year warranty.
2) The Black drive is optimized to be faster than the blue. The only way WD can market it is if it were faster than the cheaper option.

That being said though, IN YOUR CASE, I would take the WD Blue since the serial numbers with a Z in them mean that it is a newer iteration of the drive (late 2013ish). The FAEX means it is a generation behind. The latest version is the WD Black with the serial number FZEX. It goes for $90 here in the US, so if you can get your hands on the Black version with a FZEX serial number, then go for it.
Dude, I suspected there was some generation gap between them, but I couldn't tell.
You said it all.

Back