We can expect a lot more Switch games in 2018

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

There is no denying that Nintendo is succeeding with its hybrid Switch console. Despite only having launched last March, Nintendo had already moved five million units by the end of July. By October, it had sold another two million and analysts predicted that another seven million would be sold in the October to December Christmas rush, making for a total of more than 14 million sold.

While Nintendo has not yet released numbers for 2017, if analysts' predictions hold out, the Switch will have sold more units in its first year (which was only 10 months) than the Wii U sold over its entire lifespan. The success and positive reviews have been driving sales which have cause shortages on more than one occasion.

Because of its ongoing demand and success, developers are apparently getting more enthusiastic about creating games for it. According to a survey of 4,000 game developers at the Game Developers Conference (GDC), 12 percent of those polled will be making Switch games in 2018. In 2017, that number was only three percent. This swing is significant for Nintendo.

“The Switch is one of the banner takeaways, though the PC is strong,” said Simon Carless, a vice president at UBM Technology, which owns the GDC. “It’s relatively rare to see things swing so much.”

It is exciting to think that we will be seeing about four times as many games for the Switch in 2018 but more importantly, we should also start seeing developers optimizing for the system. With more developers working on titles for the platform comes advances in programming techniques that make games look and play better. Such advancements can only propel the platform to greater heights.

Nintendo’s best-selling system to date is the 3DS which has sold around 70 million units since it was released in 2011. That is an average of 10 million per year. It is still too early in the Switch’s life to tell how well it will do but if this positive trend continues, Nintendo will be on track to have its most successful gaming system ever.

Permalink to story.

Basically a bunch of PC hits seriously downsized to play on the mobile platform.

Wake me when they have PUBG.

Essentially. The switch is basically a series of compromises. Nintendo fans will always buy a nintendo console simply because it's the only place to play the next mario.

What the Switch does with it's controllers is far behind what is being done in VR on PC so there's nothing the switch does that's better than any other platform, other than simply having Nintendo games.

Last edited:
Wow beating linux development by 1%, going places for sure. The true test will be how much money did Take-Two and Bethesda pull from there ports. If the revenue aren't worth the effort than the hopes will be short lived and the switch will be doomed to Nintendo titles and indie launches (much like the state of my Vita).

Basically a bunch of PC hits seriously downsized to play on the mobile platform.

Essentially. The switch is basically a series of compromises. Nintendo fans will always buy a nintendo console simply because it's the only place to play the next mario.

What the Switch does with it's controllers is far behind what is being done in VR on PC so there's nothing the switch does that's better than any other platform, other than simply having Nintendo games.

I will just throw that: Play'n pop, baby, play'n pop.

Except being portable fun that you can charge from a USB socket. You're not bringing your Vive on the road. And if you are you're not doing it far from a wall socket.

I've played Mario Kart with strangers on the plane. I've brought it into work and played 4-player split screen with colleagues in a conference room during lunch. BotW was the only thing that kept me sane on a long haul flight and after hours during a business trip. Shovel Knight was fun on the train.

It does what it's mean to do, and well.

Although the large volume of PC ports is kinda lackluster. Skyrim? Doom? Shovel Knight? Owlboy? Lost Winds? AND $10 more expensive than Steam? Meh.

Wow beating linux development by 1%, going places for sure. The true test will be how much money did Take-Two and Bethesda pull from there ports. If the revenue aren't worth the effort than the hopes will be short lived and the switch will be doomed to Nintendo titles and indie launches (much like the state of my Vita).
1 percentage point, not 1%, but anyway: it does look funny. But on the other hand Linux gaming is not a big deal in the industry, nor is it in the press or marketing, while Switch does have quite some media and clients' attention, so it's not so bad. As for the ports, Skyrim probably made some money - it made it to the top 30 most downloaded eShop games. The rest? I doubt they made much of an impact, probably because of their prices. So ongoing third party support still isn't something that can be taken for granted. I'm optimistic, though.

And I'm sure it won't end up as bad as PS Vita - Vita never gained any spectacular momentum and it took Sony quite some time to find a niche for it. And Nintendo sold almost as much Switch consoles in less than a year as Sony during whole PSV lifetime.

The Switch needs to be viewed as its own platform, though. It's not competing with any other consoles, really...

The Switch needs to be viewed as its own platform, though. It's not competing with any other consoles, really...

This. It's misguided to compare them. Nintendo admits as much.

Yeah... but your logic fails when you wonder why Wii U sales were so abysmal.... where were all those "Nintendo fans" when it was the best Nintendo had to offer?

The Switch is far superior, offers something no other console does - and something no PC really does... that is, the ability to play Nintendo games portably (I've decided that's a word!).

While I won't argue "15 million people can't be wrong", Nintendo probably will - and will take all the profits to the bank :)

Yeah... but your logic fails when you wonder why Wii U sales were so abysmal.... where were all those "Nintendo fans" when it was the best Nintendo had to offer?

The Switch is far superior, offers something no other console does - and something no PC really does... that is, the ability to play Nintendo games portably (I've decided that's a word!).

While I won't argue "15 million people can't be wrong", Nintendo probably will - and will take all the profits to the bank :)

The Wii U had the worst Nintendo games of any Nintendo console. This just further proves my point.

It's charging AAA prices but it's more portable than the traditional definition of a console. It also has a mobile chip in it. If anything it's more comparable to a small tablet with full AAA game support.

Except being portable fun that you can charge from a USB socket. You're not bringing your Vive on the road. And if you are you're not doing it far from a wall socket.

I've played Mario Kart with strangers on the plane. I've brought it into work and played 4-player split screen with colleagues in a conference room during lunch. BotW was the only thing that kept me sane on a long haul flight and after hours during a business trip. Shovel Knight was fun on the train.

It does what it's mean to do, and well.

Although the large volume of PC ports is kinda lackluster. Skyrim? Doom? Shovel Knight? Owlboy? Lost Winds? AND $10 more expensive than Steam? Meh.

And that's OK, because I don't need to bring my Vive on the road. Even if the Vive was completely wireless and used Inside out tracking I still wouldn't bring it because I can wait till I get home to play games.

Couldn't all those things be achieved with a surface? Only the screen is much bigger on the surface. Steam has infinitely more games than the switch too and many multiplayer games. To me it seems like these are just simply reasons other than the real one. You have a switch because you want to play Nintendo games specifically. Otherwise there are plenty of other mobile devices with larger indie and AAA title libraries, a bigger screen, longer battery life, ect.

4 player splitscreen on a 7" screen sounds like a nightmare. Do you just carry the extra controllers around with you as well? Given their price, you've invested allot into a portable console.

I play Nintendo games on my phone, I play Nintendo games on my PSP, and I play Nintendo games on my GPD Win, only portable device I don't play Nintendo games on is my Vita, but it has it's own library of AAA games, so there's that. The even more amazing thing is I can play AAA games on my Vita and GPD win and play them for more than 2 hours, on a device that fits in normal jean pockets, that's what I consider portable, the switch is just to big for me.

The Wii U had the worst Nintendo games of any Nintendo console. This just further proves my point.
I see... your point seems to have changed since you posted this... "Nintendo fans will always buy a nintendo console simply because it's the only place to play the next mario."

That's what I was replying to.... Obviously, that's incorrect, as those same Nintendo fans DIDN'T buy Wii Us.... They DID buy the Switch though...

I play Nintendo games on my phone, I play Nintendo games on my PSP, and I play Nintendo games on my GPD Win, only portable device I don't play Nintendo games on is my Vita, but it has it's own library of AAA games, so there's that. The even more amazing thing is I can play AAA games on my Vita and GPD win and play them for more than 2 hours, on a device that fits in normal jean pockets, that's what I consider portable, the switch is just to big for me.
The newest AAA Nintendo games was clearly what I meant... and they only come out for one console at a time... so unless you're just trolling, I'll let you know that that is the Switch...

I see... your point seems to have changed since you posted this... "Nintendo fans will always buy a nintendo console simply because it's the only place to play the next mario."

That's what I was replying to.... Obviously, that's incorrect, as those same Nintendo fans DIDN'T buy Wii Us.... They DID buy the Switch though...

The newest AAA Nintendo games was clearly what I meant... and they only come out for one console at a time... so unless you're just trolling, I'll let you know that that is the Switch...

No, it's still correct. As I said, The Wii U had little in the way of games and had far less Nintendo games than the Wii. The Switch launched with the first open world Zelda, ARMs, and the new mario shortly after. All of which are good games. I shouldn't have to say this but games make the console. The Wii U was extremely poor in that category.

Nintendo games are Nintendo games, they haven't really changed much in 40 years.

Nintendo games are Nintendo games, they haven't really changed much in 40 years.
Yeah, BOTW is basically the same Zelda as every single one before, ARMS is just the same brawling stuff over again, Splatoon - regular Nintendo shooter - and those Wiimote games or stylus-based DS titles? YEAH, they've been doing the same stuff for 40 years... Nope, you have to be kidding. Did you actually play any Nintendo games?

No, it's still correct. As I said, The Wii U had little in the way of games and had far less Nintendo games than the Wii. The Switch launched with the first open world Zelda, ARMs, and the new mario shortly after. All of which are good games. I shouldn't have to say this but games make the console. The Wii U was extremely poor in that category.
Yes... but I'm quoting YOUR quote dude.... you SPECIFICALLY said that Nintendo fans would ALWAYS buy the latest Nintendo console - solely to buy Mario.... I was simply pointing out the flaw in that reasoning... I understand you are now making a separate point (which I agree with)... but your original one is simply wrong.
OK, I'm not sure what you're doing on this thread then.... By your logic, I can simply stick with my old Gameboy and live under a rock... I might as well dust off my old Amiga or Commodore 64 as well...

Last edited:

Except of course that it's portable, which a VR PC certainly is not. Obviously the Switch is appealing to more than "Nintendo fans" otherwise it wouldn't be outperforming the WiiU so significantly. And yes of course it's a series of compromises captain obvious, so is every other console and most PC's too. The Switch seems to be a bloody successful series of compromises though.

Except of course that it's portable, which a VR PC certainly is not. Obviously the Switch is appealing to more than "Nintendo fans" otherwise it wouldn't be outperforming the WiiU so significantly. And yes of course it's a series of compromises captain obvious, so is every other console and most PC's too. The Switch seems to be a bloody successful series of compromises though.

I pointed this out in later posts and delineated.

Yes... but I'm quoting YOUR quote dude.... you SPECIFICALLY said that Nintendo fans would ALWAYS buy the latest Nintendo console - solely to buy Mario.... I was simply pointing out the flaw in that reasoning... I understand you are now making a separate point (which I agree with)... but your original one is simply wrong.

OK, I'm not sure what you're doing on this thread then.... By your logic, I can simply stick with my old Gameboy and live under a rock... I might as well dust off my old Amiga or Commodore 64 as well...

By "the next mario" I meant Nintendo games in large. It was mannerism alluding to the fact that Nintendo is most known for it's Mario franchise but of course we all know they make many other titles.

Here is the original comment for reference

"Nintendo fans will always buy a nintendo console simply because it's the only place to play the next mario"

It's not a flaw in my reasoning but a failure to pickup on the subtext.

I pointed this out in later posts and delineated.

By "the next mario" I meant Nintendo games in large. It was mannerism alluding to the fact that Nintendo is most known for it's Mario franchise but of course we all know they make many other titles.

Here is the original comment for reference

"Nintendo fans will always buy a nintendo console simply because it's the only place to play the next mario"

It's not a flaw in my reasoning but a failure to pickup on the subtext.
No..... the subtext is "Nintendo fans will always buy a Nintendo console".... which, as Wii U vs Switch sales tells us, is NOT true!

No..... the subtext is "Nintendo fans will always buy a Nintendo console".... which, as Wii U vs Switch sales tells us, is NOT true!

/facepalm

Yes, I was talking about games yet you somehow read that as consoles.

Oh well, I'll just write this down as Hanlon's Razor on your part.

Back