Web Page Framing

bigwat

OK ive tried to put a frame on a web page that ive been designing but I want it a little different than usual, I want the entire page in the middle while only a solid background behind that. Just like the pic below.

Attachments

• webpicforframe.jpg
    webpicforframe.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 6
rather complicated

Ive tried to use the css styling but its complicated for the level at which i am. But then there is another problem, ive used pictures in my htnl codings but i have to copy the entire file name eg file:///E:/Users/Public/folder/Sample%20Pictures/image.jpg
and this prose a problem cuase if i bring the thumb drive with me if the drive is F:// the image file wont run can you please help me anyone?
thanks.

last issue first, the picture.

To make an html file portable you need to use a relative url, not an absolute.

as an example, take any webpage in your browser (the google.com homepage is good because it is simple)
and do a file->save as--> google.html
and be sure to use the Webpage Complete format.

if the page is saved in My Documents\google.html
there will be a new folder My Documents\goolge_files\
where all the graphics are stored

edit goolg.html and you will see relatice urls for files in google_files\

a relative url does not begin with http : // but (in the case above) "google_files/..."

SO; create your page
create a directory
place your graphics in the directory
reference them best with url = "./directoryName/..."

when you export to the USB, place the HTML in the partent directory of the directoryName

i still dont get it, what exactly are you trying to say where/ how t save the picture files(the images are not from the web).

trying to teach by example

take a known thing
examine it, see how it works
use it as a model

try again ...

ok ive really tried to figure out the posted answer but i cant so is there any other way?
Thanks in advance.

which issue?
  • making a page portable to different systems
  • framing content

on (B),
the old way was to use a table of 3 rows by 3 columns
onlu row 2, cell 2 contains data

fixed cell width on column 1,3 force white space horizontally

fix row height on rows 1,3 force empty header and footers​
considered bad style today

Thanks for the advice and oh i meant on the portable .... i mean if i make a folder and put all the files in it i still have to put the entire file name and extension and thats a problem i mean is there any other way in the world? please if there is any help illapreciate, i need this.
Thanks.

Save the attachment in \FOO and study where files are stored and how the HTML refers to them
you can then copy \FOO\*.* to external media and load the page without a webserver :)

Attachments

• ListGarden.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
exhamine ListGarden_doc.html

look for
Code:
href="ListGarden_doc_files/..."

You ship the top HTML (ListGarden_doc.html) and a Directory (ListGarden_doc_files) full of scripts and images.

HREF="ListGarden_doc_files/..." is a relative url, relative to where the current HTML file came from.

Moving such HTML & Dirs/* to any other location (including USB and real webservers) will still work without modifications :)

ok thanks alot what i did was send all the files i was using to the same folder and the use the file name only ,worked so thanks for the help.

Back